American car with RAF markings?

lucianom38a1

Hello Fellows,

I'm new in the forum. Actually I'm restoring a 1942 Dodge WC-57 Command Car (OK, I know that It's an American MV), and I'm looking for a good scheme to paint.

I saw some original pictures with Jeeps (Willys) painted in Olive Drab, but with RAF markings. So was wondering if the Dodge CC could have been used by the British (RAF specifically) during WWII too.

Thanks!

Welcome fellow Dodge owner! The Jeep's were starting to get above themselves. Most Dodges used by the British were in the far east. I don't think the used the WC command car, but I do have a photo of a VC command car that was taken at Chiselhurts Common in about 1942, these were officail British pictures.

Save0002.jpg

I saw some original pictures with Jeeps (Willys) painted in Olive Drab, but with RAF markings. So was wondering if the Dodge CC could have been used by the British (RAF specifically) during WWII too.

Expect for Weapons Carriers in the Far East, the Dodge WC series of trucks were not used by the British Army nor RAF. Maybe one or two were used unofficially, as sometimes vehicles were traded/borrowed/rebuilt from wrecks etc.

What I understand is that Command Cars were not popular in front line use, as they made it very easy for the enemy to target commanders. I think you will find them in use around USAAF air bases in the UK, and similar non-front line uses.

While an attractive colour scheme, it is a common misunderstanding RAF vehicles were painted blue-grey during WW2. Before and after (with black wings), yes, but not during.

Hanno

When the earliest 3/4 tons were made the USAAF was starting to re-locate to England, and many 3/4 tons were issued to them, specifically Command Cars and Carryalls, which were seen as being a little to obviously senior staff transport for much use up the sharp end.

Half ton and 3/4 ton Command and Carryall were used extensively in Alaska on the Alaska Highway and Canol projects, but I can't think of an instance where 3/4 ton Commands would have been specifically issued to / used by the RAF

Far East maybe, Burma, places like that ?

If you are looking for interesting paint options, then the use of the Command by the USAAF gives you a lot of options. "Follow Me" trucks, flightline taxis, stuff like that.

I don't have original shots, just this one small image of a WC56 I did some time back;

WC56_2.jpg

The OD green paint and USA numbers are as factory applications, but till mid -42 you can use the three colour star as seen in the small image, personalise it with names, flight crew stuff like FOLLOW ME signs, that sort of thing.

One important feature often neglected on USAAF trucks is that because they were only operated around the airfiled it was common to see them with no spare wheel, no jerrycans, no pioneer tools and racks, that sort of thing - you were always within walking distance of the garage.

• 2 weeks later...