Ferret brake adjustment

john fox

In the learned book :bow: it says to jack up wheel, drain hub, remove hub cap and annulus before adjusting brakes on Ferret - Instead I assume that, if both wheels on a side are lifted off the ground, then the effect is the same, ie the wheel being adjusted can be rotated, albeit that in this latter case the other wheel will turn as well.

however, is there some other special reason why you have to do it per the book, eg. is there less transmission drag meaning it's more accurate to adjust the brakes the book way working only on a single wheel and without the extra drag of the second wheel turning as well?

Edited by john fox

John,

I have only ever done mine on axle stands, never taken the hubs apart. I usually get it up in the air with all 4 wheels off for servicing as it makes the job much easier. I think you're correct in saying that taking the hubs apart is the only way to make sure you are doing each brake individually, without the effects of the other wheel, but we have never had a problem.

Chris

Edited by sirhc

Hi John, The book is the way to go in most cases. These books/manuals were written for the military with all the tools, men and time available. Chris and others have found a way to bypass the "correct method" and using axle stands to adjust the brakes works fine. Take care with axle stands, large wood blocks make handy supports.

Jack the entire vehicle and release the handbrake (there is a reason).

Adjust the shoes via the rear braking plate by turning the adjuster bolts as shown in the manuals while spinning the wheel to gauge drag.

Also you should adjust the handbrake cables if needed after you have finished all 4 wheels.

Once your brakes are set up you should not need to touch them for years, apart from checking/changing fluid levels.

Best of luck.

thanks guys

actually I've been adjusting the brakes for years using the jack up one side method, but as I had to do the job on someone else's vehicle the other day, I thought I would re acquaint myself with the manual only to discover I'd been doing it wrong all this time :coffee:

I was just wondering if by not following the "approved" method I'd actually done something badly wrong or whether it was simply a matter of different approaches to the same issue.

As opinion does not suggest a good, mechanically advantageous, explanation for the book method, I do not propose to strip hubs etc and will continue with the jack up method and doing it by feel

thanks again all