Looking to buy Bedford TM 4X4

overthere

Hello,

I am considering the purchase of a Bedford TM 4X4.

Would anyone have electronic copies of Service Manuals for this truck?

Also, any advice on what to check when looking at the vehicle before deciding to purchase it?

Thanks,

Robin

The cabs are the standard Bedford weak point as they are made of thin steel and rust well check especially the roof, the cab floor and the top of the wings under the rubber treads.

Check the front tractor joints and the swivel pins. The chassis are usually good and engines are usually reliable but access to the engine is tight. Check the gear selector Knob pipework as this is plastic and can melt giving all sorts of selection problems. Check the air system filter and governor, it can get stuck and over pressurise the system, this will push the pilot valve on the clutch servo through the valve seat and the changing gear becomes a bit of a challenge. If I think of anything else I'll post again, The TM is not that bad and is a good truck to drive however they are "Medium mobility" and like most trucks are not that good off road.

Good luck finding a TM

Hello,

I am considering the purchase of a Bedford TM 4X4.

Would anyone have electronic copies of Service Manuals for this truck?

Also, any advice on what to check when looking at the vehicle before deciding to purchase it?

Thanks,

Robin

If your looking for one at Witham's, probably the most likely source, get them to start it up and at least move it a few feet for you. A lot that are sat there probably haven't run in a while or have bits missing. When I bought my MJ we saw about half a dozen started and running before I decided which to bid on.

I'm sure Paul will come along and confirm this but he told me that it was exempt from side bars and the like as it's 4x4.

Try telling that one to Ivan with his MJ, he's had no end of problems getting it tested without!