What oil for a compressor?

I was up until 2.15am trying to complete the Shorland for MOT today after a 12-year lay-up. Took a break & came back to find the wind had blown a door open that knocked over the compressor.

Most of the oil leaked out. What oil should I refill it with? Any automotive oil that comes to mind?

Jamie, yes I think you're right. For anything always best to use the real thing. Just trying to save not just money but time. A journey in either direction given traffic levels wipes out several hours.

Did it pass Clive ?

Yes so that is a relief I used up about £60 worth of brake fluid trying to bleed them by various means for over a week. Anyway they performed quite well. But the Girling system in Rovers is pretty awful. Nothing like the Lockhead system in Humbers! Just taken the pig for a spin, brakes are so much better & a much more empowering driving experience!

Yes so that is a relief I used up about £60 worth of brake fluid trying to bleed them by various means for over a week. Anyway they performed quite well. But the Girling system in Rovers is pretty awful. Nothing like the Lockhead system in Humbers! Just taken the pig for a spin, brakes are so much better & a much more empowering driving experience!

The Shorland brakes must be really sh*tty!

What oil should I refill it with? Any automotive oil that comes to mind?

Actually I was in the machinery supermarket & they do two compressor oils SAE30 & SAE40.

But I saw this as an opportunity to buy not just an oil-free compressor but one with considerably more capacity. I can now even use a nail gun with it, now that is satisfying:)