Lancaster saved by Luftwaffe!!!

ArtistsRifles

Makes a wonderful story!

I did here whispers at weekend that the Lanc was grounded abroad, hence the reason it didn't make the flypast at Wheels and Wings.

Hopefully it'll be back up and running soon and I'll see it at other events later in the year.

Anyone know if it's one of the Merlins that failed or one of the copies?

"So former enemies the Luftwaffe stepped in to pick up the engine and fly it to Holland."

Gosh, you British are stil in the "don´t mention the war" phase, aren´t you?!?! ;)

- Hanno

P.S.: o.k., I admit, whenever a former Wehrmacht soldier decides to give back the bicycle he stole in 1945 to ride home, it makes the headlines here, too. . . .

Some year back whist over in Germany and friend of mine was staying with his girlfriend off camp and answered a knock at the door to confronted with a German Luftwaffa officer, this chap spoke in German of course asking for donations, My mates German was not to good but asked what the donation was for, the officer on realising he was British said it was not a problem and went to leave. My mate pressed him to find that he was collecting for the German Luftwaffa vets. My mate said this was not a problem and put his hand in his pocket. this seemed to supprose said German my Friend explained that he felt that the men who fight the wars are the same teh world over and respected there courage. Pity we cant all look at it that way.

BBMF Lanc has just flown over my house on finals to land at Coningsby, all four Merlins making the right noise. Its return from Holland was delayed due to poor weather, after the engine change that is!

Some year back whist over in Germany and friend of mine was staying with his girlfriend off camp and answered a knock at the door to confronted with a German Luftwaffa officer, this chap spoke in German of course asking for donations, My mates German was not to good but asked what the donation was for, the officer on realising he was British said it was not a problem and went to leave. My mate pressed him to find that he was collecting for the German Luftwaffa vets. My mate said this was not a problem and put his hand in his pocket. this seemed to supprose said German my Friend explained that he felt that the men who fight the wars are the same teh world over and respected there courage. Pity we cant all look at it that way.

There are still a lot of bigots around the world who cannot forget from 65 years ago, I know it is easy to say "cos I was not involved" but it is still there.

Most of them were the same.