Big tool

Grasshopper

Working on trains I get to use some big tools- In this case a comedically large allen key (32mm). When i put it on the bench next to a tape measure, it puts it into perspective....

That could well be the one I'm looking for. :) Believe it or not....... under the sump of my donor Albion engine; there are two bliddy great sump drain plugs with hexagonal holes in them. I haven't measured them yet, but would guess they are about an inch and 5/16th's across.

Are you sure it isn't an Albion sump, drain plug key. :-D

under the sump of my donor Albion engine; there are two bliddy great sump drain plugs with hexagonal holes in them. I haven't measured them yet, but would guess they are about an inch and 5/16th's across.

Had a similar size on AEC bus engines. We used to just use a stilson on the outside of them, as many previous generations of bus mechanics obviousley had!

The Matador drain plugs (probably the same size as Bus ones?) I get out with a nut welded to a bolt, then a spanner on one of the two hexagons.

They are either 5/8 or 3/4" BSW if I remember....

3/4 Whit translates to 1- 5/16ths or 33mm. Must be a common size for older truck sump bungs. I'll measure mine at the weekend....... just out of curiosity. :)