Officer ranks?

agripper

Have noticed a few senior British RAF and army officers have E R on there rank slides but note this is not on all of the same rank. Can anyone tell me the meaning of the ER on the rank slide?:confused:

Correct me if I am wrong but the senior officers I know who have worn the ER on the rank slides have all worked with/for the Royal family

Paul

Meaning of EIIR tags on officer rank insignia:

In addition to their rank insignia, some officers wear aiguillettes on the shoulder board. These are arrangements of gold wire cords with pointed metal ends, and now indicate that the wearer holds a special appointment. Aiguillettes of gold and crimson are worn on the left shoulder by members of the personal staff of flag officers. Similar aiguillettes are worn on the right shoulder by Aides de Camp to the Governor-General. Aiguillettes of gold wire are worn on the right shoulder by Aides de Camp to Her Majesty The Queen, by Admirals of the Fleet, and by equerries to members of the Royal Family- the equivalent to junior Aides de Camp.

Equerries also wear the appropriate royal cypher, the initial of the reigning Sovereign, and a Crown, all in dull silver metal. If serving more than one successive Sovereign an equerry may have a number of royal cyphers. Vice Admiral Sir Peter Ashmore, KCB KCVO DSC, Equerry to the Sovereign 1946-48, and an Extra Equerry since 1948, has the cyphers ER and GR, for Their Majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II.

Personal Aides de Camp to The Queen, who normally are members of the Royal Family, are distinguished by royal cyphers in block letters 19mm high. These are worn only by Rear-Admiral HRH the Prince of Wales, Commander HRH the Duke of York, Field Marshal HRH the Duke of Kent, and Captain Mark Phillips, 1st Queen's Dragoon Guards (rtd).

Hope this helps :)