Questions on Brockhouse trailer

Hello.

I have just bought an ex military Brockhouse trailer that I intend to restore and tow with either my 1950 ex MOD Landrover or my 1954 Alfa Romeo AR51 1900M Matta. The chassis and all its fittings are present but the body tub has been replaced at some time with a homemade wooden structure. I would like to find out what it would have looked like when it was in service ,perhaps a manual or photos /drawings.It has a ring type hitch and split rim Landrover pattern wheels.The 2 brass plates riveted to the chassis read

:Plate 1 BROCKHOUSE & CO LTD CLYDEBANK . SERIAL NO TR/392/268 . TYPE 2T/10CWT/GT

plate2 TRAILER 1/2 TON,C.T. CARGO,2 WHLD. BROCKHOUSE .FV2301 A MK1 CONT No.6/VEH/8878 CHASSIS No .TR392/268 Vehicle No 63 BJ 45

Any help gratefuly received, Peter.

Hello Clive.

many thanks for the information ,it looks to be the same type, all the dimensions tally, the only difference seems to be that mine has the standard leaf springs.Do you know if the contract number would give me an indication of the manufacturing date? Regards Peter.

Do you know if the contract number would give me an indication of the manufacturing date?

Yes, 1953.

Are you sure of that ERM? Its just that the info I have indicates that contract ran from 65 BJ 78 to 88 BJ 77.

The Asset Code was 2805-0215

Hello Clive ,thanks for all the information .I misread the ERM,what at first looks like a 3 is actualy a poorly stamped 8 ,so the number is actualy 68 BJ 45.

What I will need to do now is to attend some shows and see if I can find one and photograph the details of construction. Regards Peter.

Hello Peter and welcome,

We did chat briefly at Toddington in 2007.

Perhaps you could create a new thread for your Alfa as its so rare I'm sure others would be interested, or at least bring it up the road to Evesham at Easter.

I got a request for vehicles the other day for Bishops Cleeve and some of our members will be going:

http://www.bishopscleevechamber.co.uk/freepage.asp?ID=32

cheers Paul

Hello Paul .I would like to come to the show at Easter ( I cant come on the monday I am booked for the Coleford show).Do I need to formaly enter or just turn up?

I will work on putting in some info on the Alfa Matta ,but I am a bit new to all this and not quite sure the best way to do it .Regards Peter.

Hello.

I have just bought an ex military Brockhouse trailer that I intend to restore and tow with either my 1950 ex MOD Landrover or my 1954 Alfa Romeo AR51 1900M Matta. The chassis and all its fittings are present but the body tub has been replaced at some time with a homemade wooden structure. I would like to find out what it would have looked like when it was in service ,perhaps a manual or photos /drawings.It has a ring type hitch and split rim Landrover pattern wheels.The 2 brass plates riveted to the chassis read

:Plate 1 BROCKHOUSE & CO LTD CLYDEBANK . SERIAL NO TR/392/268 . TYPE 2T/10CWT/GT

plate2 TRAILER 1/2 TON,C.T. CARGO,2 WHLD. BROCKHOUSE .FV2301 A MK1 CONT No.6/VEH/8878 CHASSIS No .TR392/268 Vehicle No 63 BJ 45

Any help gratefuly received, Peter.

The hard part of making the body on a Brockhouse will be duplicating the pressed crosses that stiffen the panels. Have you any method of recreating these?

That Alfa looks interesting, will you post more details up?

Hello Norman.I think the stiffening ribs on the real thing are mutch less complex than those shown on the drawing .If they are the same as the ones on the civilian version they are one full length diaganal and 2 shorter ones that dont actualy disect the long er one.I have a friend who is a vintage car coach builder and I think he has a machine that can do this.I will put some info in about the Alfa If I can figure out the appropriate place in the forum to do this .Its all a bit new to me ! .Regards Peter.

Hello Norman.I think the stiffening ribs on the real thing are mutch less complex than those shown on the drawing .If they are the same as the ones on the civilian version they are one full length diaganal and 2 shorter ones that dont actualy disect the long er one.I have a friend who is a vintage car coach builder and I think he has a machine that can do this.I will put some info in about the Alfa If I can figure out the appropriate place in the forum to do this .Its all a bit new to me ! .Regards Peter.

If you find the appropriate tool it's shouldnt be too hard. Large press with dies I think.

As long as you're not just cutting the sides out of a few jerrycans. :rofl:

I suppose the place for details of your Alfa would be under vehicles, but the categories include:-

Wreckers

Tracked vehicles

American Vehicles

British Vehicles

Pre WW II vehicles

German Vehicles

Aviation

Even a Naval section,

but nothing else for other European vehicles.

Perhaps the mods could advise or is it time Joris added an new category?

• 1 month later...

Hi togehter,

at first: Sorry for my bad english, its not my mother tonage.

I`m from Germany and live 30km in the east from Cologne.

Since 2 Weeks ive an Brockhousetrailer, and know i searching for detail

informations. This was the way ive found this board here...

The trailer is looking very bad when ive bought them, an old man (99) sold

me the trailer for 100Euros, he was to old know to work in the forrest...

Ive found this infos on the type board:

Serial No: IP397 1861

Type: 2T 10CWT GT

i hope someone can give me more informations about this trailer, i am interested at all i can get :-D

Thank You !

Dietmar

Edited by dbi

Brockhouse 1 Ton trailer that i started to fix up over the weekend, it was adapted at some point to carry two generators putting out 120/240 volt 2.5 Kva. I purchased mine from Anchor Supplies in Nottingham for 170 pounds last year, it was a bit battered and still had odd fittings left over from when the generators had been removed prior to disposal.

This is my Brockhouse 1 Ton 2 wheel trailer G.S. that had been converted to a 2.5 Kva Generator trailer and used by the Royal Signals.

I purchased it from Anchor Supplies in Nottingham last year for 170 quid, and towed it back up to Aberdeenshire, where it has steadily been flaking paint until last weekend, when i attacked it with a twisted wire brush on an angle grinder!

13042009130.jpg

13042009133.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • 5 years later...