Arnhem question

longydagun

Is it true that the Dutch MV association won't allow american tanks into Arnehm the reason i ask is because we wanted to take an m18 hellcat and were told it might not be possible. and i know they werent used by 30 corps but we dont have any other tanks .

Can anyone shed any light?

Many thanks

AL

No not at all mate, not at all! I'm a 101 Airborne reenactor and we have some interesting plans for the Market Garden commemorations. We might be able to meet up?

By the way, I thought of whom to contact with your question, the Airborne Battlewheels Organisation:

http://www.airbornebattlewheels.nl/

They organise the Race to the Bridge event and a fieldcamp at Oosterbeek so they will be able to help you further.

I never heard they were picky about tanks, they are picky about non british vehicles in the "rac to the bridge" though so no Dodges allowed :(

The M42 is okay for Market Garden too, there were soldiers who jumped in their M42.

There are plenty more events between Eindhoven and Arnhem, fieldcamps and road runs etc and I'm sure the tank will be most welcome everywhere! I can't say much about our plans yet but if we get approval it will be mighty special and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I can highly recommend the road run into Eindhoven on the evening of September 18th, I'll keep you updated on news about that

No not at all mate, not at all! I'm a 101 Airborne reenactor and we have some interesting plans for the Market Garden commemorations. We might be able to meet up?

By the way, I thought of whom to contact with your question, the Airborne Battlewheels Organisation:

http://www.airbornebattlewheels.nl/

They organise the Race to the Bridge event and a fieldcamp at Oosterbeek so they will be able to help you further.

JN - could you give me some details of this please :coffee:

Well as I said the race to the bridge is only open to british vehicles, which is a good thing imho but I'm guessing they won't say no to a tank because of it's appeal to the people.

@Jack, can't post anything here yet...

Well as I said the race to the bridge is only open to british vehicles, which is a good thing imho but I'm guessing they won't say no to a tank because of it's appeal to the people.

Actually, there are two events: there is the Paradropping at the Ginkel Heath near Ede. Keep Them Rolling organises the vehicle part, which is open to all WW2 vehicles.

As far as I know, the Race to the Bridge is open only to vehicle types which were used by the British Paratroopers in Arnhem. E.g. a Jeep in British Airborne configuration is o.k., one in standard configuration is not. I think the organisers have broadened this to British/Canadian vehicles, but no US vehicles other than those used by the British Airbornes Forces.

To be sure, check with the organisers of both events, KTR (http://www.ktr.nl/) and ABWO respectively.

For what my 0,02 EUR is worth. . .

- Hanno

Edited by mcspool