Electroplating fuel tank?

fv1609

Question

Has anyone got their fuel tank electroplated? I know that one could buy a new tank but this is for a Shorland & is not a normal tank, so I want to preserve what I have got.

About 20 years ago the bottom was rusted out & I had it replaced professionally. An inch of height was lost but this was a good thing as it meant the tank could now be removed from the vehicle rear hatch. (On manufacture the tank is fitted then the armoured body lowered on)

It is about to be steam cleaned the lower half is good as it has been preserved by petrol goo that has formed over 12 years. But the upper half internally has rust. I know there are sealer fluids that can be rolled around inside to stop leaks but that isn't the problem here.

So are there treatments chemical or electrical that can remove or deactivate the rust that permit electroplating? What led me to think on these lines was that the filler tube/filter is fairly rusted. Wire brushing it would be of short lived value I can't cover that in gunge preservative. So I thought about electroplating then I thought why not the tank as well?

Yes I was thinking of using Metal Ready then PO15, which sounds similar.

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.a...frostCat=Tanks

Yes full tank good idea, although the downside is money locked up in fuel that won't be at its best, for what is for most of us, an 8-month lay up.

External protection not a problem really as its fairly well tucked away inside the boot.

Beware of using coatings in fuel tanks I have heard a problem with regard to this due to the newer unleaded fuels being used containing a percentage of Ethanol or Methanol which is supposedly able to dissolve the coatings :shake: don't know how true this is but before you do it, it might be worth investigating...( think it was a MVT Mag )