BBC2 9pm tonight...

Guest matt

Did anyone else see Timewatch last Friday? it was following the work of the US Army's MIA team who work to locate and identify the remains of American MIA's from all wars. last week it was about WW1,tonight it's Vietnam.

These guys do a great job,too bad us Brits are not as pro-active in locating and bringing home our own missing.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

i did watch and enjoy (?) this quite fasinating programe mainly due to the way these guys operate i.e the forenic investigator is only given the minimal amount of info of where the remains came from and thier supposed age.

Though we do things diffently here in the U.K. did you see the similar programe about the twenty or so 1WW brits found in the trench wit thier arms linked a short while ago, where they actually managed to trace a living relative. Very good programe :shock:

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I agree.the one last night was very interesting and moving.

I did see the programe about the Tommys found with their arms linked,the difference between the US JPAC and our CWGC is the Americans actively go out and search for their dead,we only do something if remains are found by accident eg,found by a farmer etc.

Matt.

Did anyone else see Timewatch last Friday? it was following the work of the US Army's MIA team who work to locate and identify the remains of American MIA's from all wars. last week it was about WW1,tonight it's Vietnam.

These guys do a great job,too bad us Brits are not as pro-active in locating and bringing home our own missing.

Matt.

Didn't see it.

Near where I live on a old Fortress site are still 2 boys from the 43rd Recce's missing.

Restaurations on the site have started but no serios attempt to find them.

If they were US there would have been a professional team working there long ago.

For info see the site

I know via email 1 of the survivors of the patrol.

http://www.43rdrecce.org.uk/

I know its on 9pm tonight but in this case its 6 March beeb2 the real Dads army. Last week they did how it was set up etc. This week one of the archiaologists off time team is doing the concrete bunkers etc which were the second line of defence after the Germans got off the beaches.

Not suprisingly there all inland from the channel coast. Theres not much up here I think they preferred to go to Russia It might have been warmer than the last few days here on the tundra.

cheers, Centurion

Didn't see the first episode of the Real Dads Army, but the episode on last night was very interesting, especially the results of the wargames in 1974 where they saw what would have most likely happened if Germany invaded. Nice use of material as well, especially the clip of the A13 Cruisers at speed, i've seen documentaries before which show Sherman tanks in Normandy whereas the narrator is talking about the BEF in France 1940!

Next weeks episode of The Real Dads Army is going to be about the Auxillary groups. These were small groups of men recruited for their intimate knowledge of the local area, gamekeepers, farm workers, etc. They had secret underground bunkers built for them and were trained in silent killing techniques, explosives etc. The idea was that if the enemy had invaded, they would come out after they had gone by and cause havoc so to speak. I used to work with a chap who was one of these in Kent. They were never recognised after the war as there were no written records of them.

Richard

Basically the Germans succeeded at first but had heavy casualties, the defences worked in their role of slowing the Germans down. However, by the second day, the Royal Navy had come down from Scapa Flow and dealt with the minefields and other protective measures put down by the Kriegsmarine so they were causing havoc with the german supplies crossing the channel.

Eventually, the Germans were running out of reinforcements and supplies, whereas the good guys were bringing down more reinforcements and supplies from the north, eventually German commander issued a withdrawal. Would have been very heavy casualties on both sides, and South East England would sadly have suffered massive civilian casualties, especially the home guard as the Germans treated them as spies pretty much as they weren't considered legal combatants.

Fascinating stuff, would make a great movie, even more useful for me as i'm currently studying the Battle of Britain for my history A level coursework.