V8 Distributor Problem?

thedawnpatrol

Question

Hi Guys

A quick question, Having recently removed the Distributor on my WOT2 V8 ford engine to change Condensor, I have had some running problems.

I noted the direction of the rotor arm on removal, the dizzy was moved when off to check points etc. The engine was not turned.

I re fitted the Dizzy back onto the off set cam (the only way it fits), and noted that the rotor arm was again pointing down.

Started her up, she started but ran almost as if only firing on 4 or so cylinders, I checked each plug was sparking and was.

quite strong fumes from engine almost as if firing at different time to valve openings?

COULD I HAVE FITTED THE DIZZY 360 degrees out so the fireing order is changed?

Any suggestions greatly sort.

Jules

6 answers to this question

Not familiar with this particular engine but the way it usually works is that the distributor body has to be rotated on refitting to get the correct ignition timing. Could be that although the rotor arm is correct the main body of the distributor is a few degrees different than before. Have you checked the static timing?

Edited by Stormin

If you fit it on wrongly the distributer will not bolt down flush on to the block and it will normally shear off the spline on the dog when you try to start it.

I can vouch for that . . . :-(

The problem could be the plug leads are wrongly connected.

Could be that although the rotor arm is correct the main body of the distributor is a few degrees different than before. Have you checked the static timing?

Norman,

You could be right here, as I see it is a British Ford, so by rights, should have a Lucas distributor, which does have slotted holes in it for timing. If it had a US or Canadian dizzy, then you cannot go wrong because timing on them is not done by turning the body ( the base plate is turned within the body ).