Chassis number obliterated

Great War truck

Is there a way of recovering the chassis number off of a vehicle? This one has been oblitereated. On CSI i saw someone pour an acid on to an obliterated gun serial number and then using some special chemical managed to get the number visible again. Any thoughts, or is this just Hollywood magic?

Tim

Is there a way of recovering the chassis number off of a vehicle? This one has been oblitereated. On CSI i saw someone pour an acid on to an obliterated gun serial number and then using some special chemical managed to get the number visible again. Any thoughts, or is this just Hollywood magic?

Tim

Tim,

Even if chassis numbers have been ground off, forensics can reveal the number, as the stamping will compress the metal deeper in. Not sure how to go about it though, is this surface rusted away or mutilated?

We had to do something like this a few years ago. not on a vehicle, but on some very specical plant. The bit was cleaned with a solvent, sprayed with a dye, wiped very gently, and exposed to UV light. Hey presto, all the info we needed. Have a look for a None Destructive Testing company near you.

I have also seen this done with ultrasound units, and picture showing the number, whatever people were trying to find.