Meadows petrol engine water pump.

Phil P

We are currently restoring a 1952 Guy Otter 3 ton Tipper. Sorry it's not a green machine. It was discovered complete except that the water pump is missing. The engine is a Meadows 4ELA petrol engine. It is the belt driven variety. (Some were cam driven.) This engine was used on military generator sets. If anybody has got a water pump to fit this engine or knows where there is one we would be very grateful. We are not fussed if the seals or bearings are shot as we can repair it or we have a contact who can overhaul it, it just has to be complete.

Phil P

Whats this Tony? addicted to spanners? Never, hand built by true craftsmen. The engine is a Meadows but there is a brass plate on the rocker cover that says it was manufactured by Sunbeam. Apparently they license built them for Meadows. Sorry I haven't any pictures at the moment Tony but I am doing a video diary of the rebuild. The chassis is on tressles after being shot blasted. Some of the cross members have been 'de rivetted' to make sure there was no rust behind to push it apart and then rivetted back. The rear crossmembere has had to be replaced. ALL the components are being overhauled or remade. Over £500 worth of ash is currently being cut and formed to rebuild the cab. The Hippo shares the unit/workshop with 6 Guy trucks and 2 Guy buses. The assasin (Leyland) parked with the victims and a Yank as referee, and all just 3 miles from where the Guys and Meadows engines were built. The Hippo did a towing job the other day. Everything else had failed to move the BMMO D9 prototype that has stood for 18 years in the corner but the 'Big un' dragged it out with brakes seized on on tickover!! Next restoration project, but not in our workshop.

Phil.

You do like your big toys, mate :-D Important thing another old girl being saved. mind you I daren't ask why we do it. We are currently doing the wood work on the WS10 trailer. but we do have a secret weapon. Q's workshop, courtsey of freinds at Shepperton. For someone whose's Farther was a Master Carpenter, the gene seems to have skipped a generation. :-(

Yes I have to admit Tonka Toys for adults (Big daft Kids) is a passion of mine. I suppose that comes from serving my apprenticeship in a railway locomotive design office and then moving into a commercial vehicle manufacturers design department.

In our workshop besides my Hippo and WC51 we have the 1952 Guy Tipper (still without a water pump) a 1947 Guy 3 ton dropside, 1953 Guy Otter furniture van, 1961 Guy Big J 6x4 artic tractor unit, (!963 Commercial motor show and built as a 44 ton unit)) 1965 Guy Big J tractor unit with sleeper cab (YES in 1965) 1953 Guy Arab coach with Burlingham Seagul body, 1953 Guy Arab Double Decker. Plus various other buses and bits.

Phil.