CanAm Bombardier

Jon_SP

Hi, just newly acquired a 1980's Can-Am 250cc in need of "minor" restoration and rebuild :sweat: and was wondering if there where any workshop manuals for them or at least wiring diagram which would make the rebuild a hell of alot easier. Been finding it rather difficult to find out much information of them, however finding spares is not really a problem. :-D

Cheers,

Jon

• 4 years later...

The old Bombardier replaced the BSA B40 (350cc 4-stroke) in the late-70s and served until the early 90s when replaced by the 500cc 4-stroke Armstrong..........

I did several thousand miles on these things, and they were not very popular nor reliable.........they were hated by trainees and instructors alike as the 2-stroke Rotax engine was fairly high-powered (and smokey !!!) and could lift the front wheel fairly easily under eager acceleration......lol....

The electrics were supremely dodgy, and the fuel tanks split with alarming regularity...........this happened to me on a midnight run, the dodgy wiring causing the whole bike to burst into flames.........(I hadn't noticed at the time) but according to witnesses I looked like a meteor going down the road at about 55mph with a 50-metre flame tail behind me from burning fuel........:(

On another Can-Am I hit a truck broadside on.....totalising the bike in the process..........(and my right-leg)..........

Somewhere, I have a copy of the full NATO workshop manual for these horrible things.................:-D

• 4 weeks later...
Hunt it out!! Help out a fellow rider!! Lol

These are readily available on CD. I got mine from Military CanAm website - Paul Wilkinson, who's a great help. If you get stuck let me know and I'll look my CD out, or something. Ignore the sceptics and enjoy the bike. They're good fun. I've got 2 complete and 2 in pieces, and I really like them. J