Ronald Keel KSLI

It is indeed, Snap. And it rang a bell.

Coincidentally I visited the Commonwealth Cemetery at Overloon (it was actually Venray cemetery - see post #6) last year on a trip to Arnhem and the George C Marshall collection. We had called to visit the graves of some comrades of my friend's uncle, a tank driver.

For some reason one gravestone caught my attention, and I couldn't stop thinking about it as I wandered around. So much so, that as we were leaving, I felt compelled to go back and "snap" it.

Before you get too excited I believe there were several similar stones, but wouldn't it be amazing if this were the one......

Overloon July 08.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

Almost off topic -

This was one of the gravestones we went to find - a friend of 'Tiny'. Tiny came from a fenland farming family, and his claim to fame was that he never got his tank stuck, unlike all the others. When asked by his Commander why this was, he replied -

"That's easy, Sir - I always head for the water"

I practise this too -where there is water the base is usually hard (that's why the water won't drain away), where the water isn't is usually where it has saturated the ground and you start heading south.....

Tiny's mate - Overloon.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
It is indeed, Snap. And it rang a bell.

Coincidentally I visited the Commonwealth Cemetery at Overloon last year on a trip to Arnhem and the George C Marshall collection. We had called to visit the graves of some comrades of my friend's uncle, a tank driver.

For some reason one gravestone caught my attention, and I couldn't stop thinking about it as I wandered around. So much so, that as we were leaving, I felt compelled to go back and "snap" it.

Before you get too excited I believe there were several similar stones, but wouldn't it be amazing if this were the one......

You Bugger,i read this twice and got goose bumps twice,i wonder why.:shocked:

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

OOPS!

Sorry folks, the cemetery we visited was actually VENRAY, not Overloon. I checked with friend's son earlier, before I made the post, he confirmed Overloon - but I've just checked again and it was definitely Venray, confirmed by the CWG records.

Pte Keel was initially buried at Venray, in an orchard according to the article. The body was later moved to Overloon Cemetery. The two places are very close to each other, ( I actually hought we were at Overloon...) but I wonder why Venray was not chosen as his resting place?

So close, but not as close as I thought.

Sorry again for the mix-up!

The Venray cemetery contains 692 burials, including 1 Polish and 30 unidentified.

The Overloon cemetery contains 280 burials, including 1 Dutch and 4 unidentified.

The Dutch cemeteries are beautifully maintained places, a credit to the country.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Catweazle -

I can't read your last post, it's appearing in what looks like some sort of Arabic text :confused:

You stupid boy Pike:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

just checked can get the page up now,maybe i was Bin Laden hacked.