Mystery Vehicles

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Positive.........seen that photo before, by the way, it has been cropped, there are more interesting vehicles in it.

Dont know where i found it,looks like a great place,any more info ?

The Macks are LMSW's: a 6x4 5-ton wrecker version built for the British and Canadians. Identifiers are the skid plate below the front bumper and the sizes of the wheels & tyres relative to the front wheelarches.

These three are LMSW-57's, identifiable by the soft top, so they are Canadian, from a contract of only 160 delivered 1944.

Observe the hoop above and behind the cab to disguise the wrecker body as a cargo truck.

DT is a 969 wrecker.

- Mike

Dont know where i found it,looks like a great place,any more info ?

Hi Catweazle,

This photo has come up on Maple Leaf Up forum in the past, submitted by David Hayward, who is publishing a book of photos taken of Pearson's war work around Liverpool. Some of the photos are on that forum and are great detail shots, probably done with a plate camera I guess. They show completed vehicles lined up ready for despatch in the local streets, in the yards and workshops. Knocking vehicles down and crating for shipping was another of their tasks. What is remarkable is that these photos were taken in wartime by local photographers, or the company ( not sure which ).

I think there may have been some of the photos published in Vintage Roadscene, which David writes for, perhaps that is where you saw the pic.

Richard