Identify that badge!

lightweight

Folks,

Was going to post a picture but my camera has let me down so I will describe the badge in question......

It is situated above the right breast pocket of a OR's USAAF four button tunic and the background of the badge is the same colour as the tunic (brown).

It is diamond shaped, with the longer points of the diamond horizontal.

On the badge is a gold ring, but the bottom half of the ring is divided into vertical stripes. In the centre of the circle, and overlapping the edges is a gold eagle which is standing up and it's wings are outspread. The eagle is facing to the right.

That's the best I can describe it - anyone know what it is?

Elsewhere on the tunic is a USAAF badge on the left shoulder, master SGT stripes and, on the lapels, metal US badges and metal propellor with wings if that helps - but what does the gold eagle signify?

Many thanks.

Sounds like a "Ruptured Duck"

A patch that was issued to US servicemen about to leave the service with an honourable discharge. It could be worn i think for up to 2 months after leaving the service and it also served to let military police know that the man in question was en route home rather than AWOL or deserting