WW1 Heavy Movers

Rick W

Those are interesting. I wouldnt want to drive that Mack down a hill with the Renault tank in the back. The brakes are bad enough trying to stop an empty one, let alone with 5 tons of tank in the back.

The other one is interesting. Not sure what it is at the moment. I would guess at it being a Daimler. Will take a look in my books.

Tim (too)

Looks sort of Italian to me ? :shake: is the prime mover a Lantil tractor (if such things exist).

The gun it appears to have been mounted on a stretched car chassis or a truck chassis.

(It even looks as though it is going backwards :-D)

Not quite sure how a modern hybrid works, but basically the early petrol electrics had a normal sized (for the truck that is) engine which powered a dynamo, which then transmitted power to an electric motor which powered the wheels. A few early examples still exist and sound very strange. You can hear the engine running like crazy and the vehicle is hardly moving. You cant help but think "why doesnt he change gear", but of course there are no gears.

Petrol elecric was championed by Tilling Stevens during WW1 and they were commonly used as search light trucks (two of these just post war ones have been restored). There was also a WW1 Dennis Stevens searchlight truck, of which one survives, but in a scrap condition. Too much missing for an easy restoration, but it could be brought back if someone were to throw enough money at it.

Tim (too)

There is a picture of a WD 1936 Tilling Stevens here

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2427452530078404180IRzNdN

Not seen that one out and about for a long time. i wonder where it is now. The only reason that this one (of a pair) survived is because they found favour with fairground folk to power their rides.

Tim (too)