Scrim nets

Jack

Not being a rivet counter or anything but could someone be as kind as to let me know the width of the ribbon on WW2 scrim nets :oops: :oops:

........just going off to write down some train numbers :oops: but any idea would be great!

Cheers

Jack

2 inches according to:

Camouflage, Military Training Pamphlet No. 46 Part 1, General Principles, Equipment & Materials (all Arms) Chapter 2, Section 13, Subsection 4 (1) 26/GS Publications/50, 1941.

But what are you trying to cover up? Because that will influence not just the overall dimensions of the net, but the size of the mesh, the density of the strips, their pattern, & ratio of the colours AND the type of knots you use!

Although it does describe other things like netting with wire wool & even mesh with chickens feathers or manes from cows & horses woven into the mesh. So next year your GMC could come disguised as a chicken with a pony tail!

BTW I am not fooling this book really does say all this stuff!

Jack

Its not defined really, they talk about "open mesh fishing net". Given the diagrams & the hessian strip being 2in I would guess 2.5in mesh. Available in:

35ft x 35ft

24ft x 24ft

35ft x 17ft

But some applications required "shrimp nets", which was either 1cm knotted or 0.5cm woven these were available in brown or green. They were 25ft x 12ft or 35ft x 15ft were carried on AFVs for intense blocking of detail.

Jack, when you go to get your train numbers be sure that your flask has the correct tartan on it and your pencil has the regulation length of eraser on the end. :wink:

I think the pencil is next to my stamp collection :twisted: