Peoples opinions on faithful recreations?

Question

With certain vehicles becoming ever rarer, what are people's opinions on faithful recreations?

For example, taking a series 2a lwb land rover and faithfully converting it into a pink panther spec, along with the colours?

Always wondered where the community in general stands on this topic, thanks in advance

Edited by 0119
spelling
  • Like 2

5 answers to this question

Well, there has been no other response to your question for over a week, so I will have a go.  First of all, though, welcome to the Forum.  I think you will find a great deal to interest you on here.

But... what about 'faithful recreations'?  Honestly?  That's a tricky one and quite controversial.  But, you asked the question, so I will give you my opinion - not that of the majority, I hasten to add.  With luck, other contributors will offer you a balancing view.

Obviously, museums often commission models or replicas of items they would like to display but which simply aren't available in the original and, as there is educational value in their doing so, that is entirely reasonable.  And, of course, there is a very respected member on this forum who has built a complete tank and is now building an armoured car!  As a thoroughly absorbing passtime involving immeasurable skill and dedication, that too has great merit.  In neither case, however, is there any subterfuge - no attempt being made to pass the replica off as an original.

And there is also a recognition that repros have no direct historical relevance  as such and, beyond museum exhibits, become mere toys; they exist purely for amusement - or 'fun'.  Some, where the modern origins are clearly evident are horrible!  But, existing for amusement is, of course, entirely legitimate too.

So, it really has to be down to what you want to do, how you want to spend your money and how you want to spend your time.  Making something more interesting than it was originally can be very rewarding - making bits, buying bits, painting bits, getting the clothes together etc etc - all make for a great, pleasurable pastime. 

On the other hand, taking something which, at first glance, is a bit ordinary and boring can also give much pleasure - researching its real history, trying to find pictures of it and so on.  Merely getting it back to how it looked at a particular point in its history can be pretty absorbing, not to say demanding. And that is true for a bog-standard Land Rover - many have quite fascinating histories, once you start to look.

Personally, I think anything mocked up to give it an SAS, or any modern special forces connection is in danger of being regarded as a 'Walter Mitty-mobile' and you'd have to be a bit careful.  Particularly if you're talking Land Rover as not enough time has yet elapsed to give such reproductions universal respectability.  WW2 SAS Jeep recreations seem to be acceptable, with the passage of time being what it is and the fact that no originals now exist (as far as I am aware) and there can no longer be any suspicion that the owner/driver is, in any way, pretending to be something he isn't (unless he's about 90, but still looks 30).  The same goes for LRDG Chevrolets. 

But, that isn't the case for SAS 'Pinkies'.  Of the 'FG' batch, there were just 72 built and several still exist.  Were you to introduce a 'ringer' on the circuit, I doubt it would be terribly welcome.  I don't know whether there are any genuine ones left from the original batch built by the SAS workshops ('EL' registrations of 1963 or thereabouts, I think) - so that might make an interesting repro, I suppose, but showing it would still be a touch controversial, I would have thought.  But, for your own amusement, it is a wonderful idea as there is so much scope to play about with a basic Land Rover.  And, if you have attended any military vehicle show, or followed online discussions, you wil know that there are plenty of people out there already mocking up 'Para Lightweights' and 127" Land Rover SAS patrol vehicles, so you'd not be alone.

With luck, you may now get other people's views.  I am known to be a bit 'anal' about this sort of thing and will always prefer originality over artistic licence of livery and markings in particular, but I don't think I represent the majority in this regard who are generally a bit more flexible. 

So, there you are, that's one view.  See what else there is out there.

• Like 1

I think there is a difference between recreations and restorations.

I myself have had a 1965 2A FFR restored. I purchased it here in Canada, and was

going to put it back on the road as just a Land Rover, then I had a closer look and found

out it was military. On top of this it was Royal Artillery so it was restored as a tribute to

family who fought in both WW1 and WW2 in the Artillery.

I think the main piece of documentation for either is a "B" Vehicle Data Card.

Without one it's a recreation and with one it's a restoration. Mine shows all the regiments

it went through before ending up here at Suffield in Alberta and then eventually to me.

I hope this doesn't upset anyone as this was not my intention.

• Like 1

My own opinion is that it depends on what you are replicating and why.

The normal reasons I have seen are that an original is very expensive (a lot of German WW2 vehicles fit in this category) or something rare with few survivors (or none at all).  Both I think are good reasons and make sense if they are presented as such.  But replicating something that there are quite a few of I'm not personally a fan of.  The pink panthers would come in to this category for me.  My own definition of rare is less than ten surviving, bit of an arbitrary number but I mentally wanted to draw a line.

There are other very rare variants that no longer exist or only in museums, one of those I would pick as a better candidate for the amount of work and effort that will go in to it.

But at the end of the day it is up to each individual what they want and how they achieve it.  The only thing I would say is don't chop up something unusual to do it and present it showing your hard work, research etc...

Guess you'll have positive and negetive reactions.  If you do it as good as possible you can explain critics why you made it. In the end its your vehicle so your choice.

If someone is really persistent you are wrong they can offer a better alternative or even a original one at their own expense....

• Like 1

Prior - why don't you ask a custodian of a PP who regular shows   ?  Such as Wayne Davies of Leeds , not so easy to contact now the Ex-MLRA forum is down to non-members.  You should find him on Facebool  military LR groups. 

The ideal base vehicle  -  would be a Rover Mk.7  (3/4 ton  109"   of correct S2A  age variant.  You could of course use a civvy 109"   S2A.  It would be £ daft to mutilate a half-good  Mk.7

Possibly   obtaining fittings / making fitting  - well you are after a hobby.   On after £ valuation - a good  S2A  109"  in basic trim Ex-MOD or civvy could be worth more £    A good   Rover Mk.7  (  3/4 ton  109" )  as used for a PP  should not IMHO  be messed around.  Whatever you produce it would always be a WALT and displayed such, those intrigued may stop / look + converse.

I have a  EARLY   Mk.10  (headlamps in radiator panel)  it's a 12 volt (quite rare , arguably rarer than  the 24 volt version).  Still life MOT'able in the chassis , I am pondering adapting this boring 12 volt into a  "TOASTIE"  radio truck ,  I have the Larkspur available , Dexion available  , Toastrack , a mint front bumper with correct 'air-lift' bumperettes, correct  rear bumperettes & D lift rings  (presently civvy at front & rear) , involving a minor fake-up of rear X member (civvy replacement) to mount bumperettes & D loops.   The good thing about a 12 volt Rover 10 is that all body parts are identical to 24 volt - so fittings present to mount front wing ATU  & rear candlesticks.   Respray (quick &  £ cheap)  DBG  or  OD   ?  

So  -  it would only go to such as  - Cumbria Classic & Motorsport Show  & similar in northern England & Southern Scotland,  I would not bother changing cab details to 24 volt ,  & I would keep the bonnet down & padlocked - as obviously no 40A genny etc.   Being a total A'hole in such matters , I would just sit in my deckchair in the hope that a odd rivet-counter would open his mouth , however at such non-military shows  - I doubt if their would be any. 

So - yesterday , I paid my £10 entry & same for wife (her comment - count me out in future) , but if I enter - the S2A club welcomes such people to their stand (I have my doubts if any would recognise such a Walt) ,  or just go as a private in centre field -  either way as a booked in bona-fide  'entrant'   (Military , 4WD, Light Commercial, tractors & PSV's)   -  at least I would be able to enter the site 1 hour earlier than visitors and for  £  s.f.a.