Tools

Adrian Dwyer

Question

4 answers to this question

On 8/7/2024 at 8:52 PM, Adrian Dwyer said:

I am assuming that 'Terry's' relates to the valve spring manufacturer?

Not quite: Terry's made a wide variety of metal products, including the "plate spanners" (stamped out of sheet steel and then hardened and tempered) - I have a lot of them in BA sizes - but they also licenced the "Anglepoise" lamp and the company (I assume under a different name) still manufactures that today. Grace's Guide has more detail:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Herbert_Terry_and_Sons

They made a lot of small spanner sets for vehicle maintenance (magneto and tappets, etc.) which turn up regularly on eBay and elsewhere. :-) 

Edited to add: I've just realised that they also invented the "Terry Clip" and loads of other flat or coil spring related items!

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
More detail.

6 hours ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

Not quite: Terry's made a wide variety of metal products, including the "plate spanners" (stamped out of sheet steel and then hardened and tempered) - I have a lot of them in BA sizes - but they also licenced the "Anglepoise" lamp and the company (I assume under a different name) still manufactures that today. Grace's Guide has more detail:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Herbert_Terry_and_Sons

They made a lot of small spanner sets for vehicle maintenance (magneto and tappets, etc.) which turn up regularly on eBay and elsewhere. 🙂 

Edited to add: I've just realised that they also invented the "Terry Clip" and loads of other flat or coil spring related items!

Many thanks for the link.  A