Truck used to disguise pillbox in UK - can anyone ID the number plate to give idea of location and date ?

Samuel Llewelyn

Just now, Adrian Dwyer said:

Morning.  Great images!  I've seen some interesting examples of camouflaged pillboxes (British and German) but never one incorporating half-a-truck. 

My list (from The Chiltern Preservation Group') shows the registration as  'IW - Derry (Coleraine)'.  Interestingly, Londonderry is specified as 'UI'.  Just to add an extra dimension of intrigue, it also shows 'YZ - Derry (Coleraine)' within the same table.

In England, the letter 'I' seems not to have been used because of possible confusion with the figure '1'.

The excellent Pillbox Study Group <http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/defence-articles/pillbox-camouflage/> show the attached image.  No pumps for E5 or E10?

Pillbox camouflaged as a petrol station in Felixstowe, 24 August 1940.
THE BRITISH ARMY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM 1939-45. © IWM (H 3307) IWM Non Commercial Licence

pillbox garage.jpg

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
Attribution

12 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

I have checked another source, my 1960 edition of Observers Book of Automobiles and IW is listed as Londonderry C.C.

Whatever, it is likely the vehicle in the photo is in Northern Ireland!

Agreed.  And Coleraine is certainly in Co Londonderry.  Shame there isn't more in the photograph to use 'street view'.

A

Just now, Adrian Dwyer said:

Just to add, and not to say a Coleraine/Londonderry plate means that's where the van was repurposed, but some pillboxes in what are now the built-up areas seem to have been removed. See <https://edob.mattaldred.com/map/e24607>

Just seen MatchFuzee's post.  That seems to do it for me.

A