Dates of No. 4 (Triplex) Field cooker

Mark Ellis

I'd never heard of the Soyers or Triplex stoves until I recently wondered why there was a gap between No. 7 and No. 12 - and still don't know why that is.

Does anyone know when the No. 4 Field cooker first came into service? And were there other manufacturers?

I'm guessing that there's still some Soyers and Triplex stoves in storage, in case of nuclear war, etc.

No4Triplex1.jpg.707163b1b430c40220b0a4f8f108975d.jpg

No4triplexdrawing.thumb.jpg.9b5d93136c9c29ffe0640441765a6ac7.jpg

I found this entry at http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/Tipton/industries.htm?

"Triplex Foundry
Triplex Foundry was founded in 1918 at Toll End by Charles Robert Horrell to make Triplex grates. Production began in 1919 and Triplex Foundry Limited was formed in 1920."

But this photo is said to be from WW1, and shows a Triplex, or at least a No. 4 field kitchen in the background.

ww12.thumb.jpg.892d3fed46526874c13f8830276f60f7.jpg

I've redone the Triplex instructions

triplex1.thumb.jpg.5aee0559ae10dcc1ad75ed44d3f5eba7.jpg

triplex2.thumb.jpg.fb02f31e3ea1879ae61d0f345a3ad7e8.jpg

Thanks

Edited by Mark Ellis
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Looking through Regulations for the Equipment of the Army. Part 1. 1942 the only stove mentioned is Soyers in J1.

Thanks, Clive.
Every time I think I've found an answer it raises new questions.

I guess Hot feeds was a special pot for cooking the horse oats

Regarding your comment in your first post, I would be very surprised if MOD still kept any of these stoves in storage.  The days of vast Storage Depots all over the country are long gone.  The Treasury is also meat to have changed the way it accounts for items some years ago so if the MOD decides to keep items in storage the amount they get in new funding is reduced.  In 1940 the War Department were able to bring something like a million Rifles out of storage to equip the expanding army.   All of the perfectly serviceable SLRs and 7.62 Bren's  were cut up not long after coming out of service.  The MOD would now have difficulty in giving everyone a rifle if we mobilised tomorrow.  

Edited by REME 245

1 hour ago, REME 245 said:

Regarding your comment in your first post, I would be very surprised if MOD still kept any of these stoves in storage.  The days of vast Storage Depots all over the country are long gone.  The Treasury is also meat to have changed the way it accounts for items some years ago so if the MOD decides to keep items in storage the amount they get in new funding is reduced.  In 1940 the War Department were able to bring something like a million Rifles out of storage to equip the expanding army.   All of the perfectly serviceable SLRs and 7.62 Bren's  were cut up not long after coming out of service.  The MOD would now have difficulty in giving everyone a rifle if we mobilised tomorrow.  

Yes, I understand that.

But one would hope common sense prevails for emergency planning at civilian level. I know that Civil defence was shut down years ago, but councils still have a certain responsibility for Emergency planning.

7 hours ago, REME 245 said:

I work for a Unitary Council and I am not aware of us retaining any large stocks of anything.  We would make use kitchens in Schools or other buildings we own.

But what happens when there's no electric or gas? Have a look in the back of the furniture warehouse, or ask the Emergency planning department.

I've worked for a unitary authority, and staff don't even know what people do in the office next door. I live in a county where Council managers don't even know what their own department is supposed to do.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I just hope that someone somewhere still has a bit of savvy, just in case.

large_CH_013117_1.jpg.2f694fefb1e1b5378e0fac6d9eb85656.jpg

Original wartime caption: For story see CH.11316 Picture (issued 1944) shows - An ingenious chimney of petrol cans which takes the smoke from the field kitchen into the nearby trees.

large_CH_013118_1.thumb.jpg.8825308a5eb5f34f2b75c77fe0f8ae09.jpg

Original wartime caption: For story see CH.11316 Picture (issued 1944) shows - An airman of the 2nd Tactical Air Force putting the finishing touches to one of the petrol tin chimneys.

• Like 1