ID WW2 vehicle unit marking '130' on diagonal split?

Pember

Hmm!  130 sits among the batch largely allocated to the independent tank and armoured brigades - but that is generally post-1943 and the only obvious diagonally split AOS sign would be the red over green of the RASC.  My lists don't show one.  Two questions: could it be later in the war and could there be a missing digit off the end which might place it among the more numerous 1300 series which also are more commonly found on diagonally split signs - not least because GHQ, area troops and 21 AG all used diagonal white bars even on AOS signs which otherwise were plain, such as black, red, brown, blue & green, or split horizontally, such as those for the RA, R Signals, REME and so on.  But, if this is the case, then the most likely solution will be RASC as, by and large, they dominate the 1300 series (with RE popping up at 1300 just to prove the exception to the rule!).  But, thinking about it, apart from some blue/brown diagonally split AOS signs in the Middle East in 1941, I'm not sure I can think of another diagonally split sign apart from RASC which, of course, were ubiquitous. 

• Like 1

Thank you the information.

Definitely '130' on diagonal split, see below.  However, could be later than 1943.

uBJjpxd.jpg

Apologies that the resolution of the photo is not great, but sufficient to see unit marking.  Unfortunately, no divisional or brigade signs visible.

12 hours ago, wally dugan said:

130 COMPANY  RASC MOTOR AMBULANCE AMPHIBIOUS

Thank you for the information!  Would this be an idea or a definite ID? 

To my eye, the two colours on the diagonal split, do not look to be red over green.  Of course the fact that it is on a DUKW would fit RASC Motor Ambulance Amphibious.

If it is 130 Coy RASC Motor Ambulance Amphibious, do you know which brigade and/division they belonged to?

Edited by Pember

I don't think that the sign is a formal arm-of-service sign.  Yes, you are right - the colours do not look to be red over green and the diagonal goes the wrong way.  The dimensions don't look correct for an AOS sign and neither does the way it is attached to the vehicle.  And, of course, AOS signs didn't carry the number of the actual unit - except by coincidence and 130 is not in the right area of the table for an RASC company.  So, if this is 130 Company RASC, which it may well be, then the sign is for another reason.  That having been said, I can find no reference to there being amphibious ambulance companies: 130 was certainly, though, a motor ambulance company RASC - later 36 Squadron RCT.  An amphibious motor ambulance company, if one existed, would not belong at brigade or divisional level, but would be army or army group level, probably the latter as it would be used to ferry casualties to hospital ships or, possibly back across wide rivers such as the Rhine, but, whether a dedicated unit would be necessary for that, I don't know.  The only use I can find of DUKWs in use as ambulances is on return journeys across the Normandy beaches/Mulberry harbours to shipping, having already been used for off-loading equipment and stores, in which case they had Red Cross flags attached, both horizontally across the bonnet and flying from staffs because, of course, they lacked permanent Red Cross markings.  However... never say never! 

• Like 1

I was rather curious about the diagonal marking, because it seems to fade towards the lower left. The sun is clearly to the right of the picture, so is the diagonal possibly a shadow, which becomes less well defined as it appears further from whatever is casting it, possibly part of the windscreen frame? Also, the 3 seems distorted at first glance, but may have a small darker shape in the middle, which may again be a shadow. If so, the plate may be plain white with some partial shadow.

The people in the background seem all to be civilians, apart from a possible naval officer(?), with everyone apparently completely relaxed and cheerful, perhaps just after the war's end?

Is the diagonal actually a small rope that is attached to the sling point to the left of the sign? It seems to droop a little then stretches up towards the cab area, and appears thicker on the right as suggested above because it is more shadowy?

I think you are both right @Noel7& @fv1609Looking more closely on my computer rather than on the ipad, it certainly doesn't look as though the line is on the board.  So, yes, that makes a lot of sense: it isn't an AOS sign at all, simply a '130' on a probably white board.  At a guess then, this may be a DUKW being used to ferry Dutch civilians during the flooding in Holland in early/mid 45?  Certainly, everyone seems happy enough, though the soldiers are still wearing CEFO. Difficult to say.  But it has to be post-42, I think as the British Army only got DUKWs in 1943 in preparation for Sicily & Italy.   Perhaps it's the 1947 amphibious exercise at Beaumaris!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi

just scrolled this,

i have being trying to find a unit no/sign.

I found the diagonal went  \ or / for a headquarters unit also the RAF used the / 

please court me if Ian wrong

I am still trying to decode this one, but I think it has been over written with the unit serial no.

which I am also still trying to trace.

numbers and flash are white, the 7 is certain

back ground is a worry. 

IMG_1947 2.JPG

Edited by rupert condick
missed info out