No 3 Artillery Director - WWI

Does anyone have, or know anyone who has any spare parts for British WWI No3 directors?  Anything considered!  

My more pressing needs are for the following:

Complete optics including the bubble/elevation scale unit

complete optics without the bubble/elevation unit

elevation locking pin & chain. 

Circular spirit level unit (with 3 screw holes)

Leather case

box compass with correct mounts

also any No2 Director parts, particularly eyepiece unit etc.

Thanks!

C77495BA-638D-4164-A501-A3B471F46DCC.jpeg

3737943E-9F12-4080-AF78-8ECD13E3EE93.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I have been searching for one of these for a long while, but I think you have the most complete one I have seen. If I find any early Directors or parts that are surplus to requirements, I'll let you know. Are you after any other director, sighting or fire control gear?  cheers, D.

I actually have a nice complete fairly minty Ross made No3 in my collection (see photos below).  The more complete No3  in my previous message is actually on eBay as I decided to let it go as I’ve got the complete one I’ve mentioned so I don’t really need it.    I’m still looking for a good No1 Director & a No2 as well.  (Exceptionally hard to find!). The other thing Im after, again without success is a very early No8 dial sight by Newton & Wright of London.  Although I know they exist in very small numbers I’ve never found one.  Cheers, Steve.

C5AA5E37-EB20-4380-B088-EA6AA1810DF3.jpeg

CD6E4C9C-AF1E-4E3B-9D20-60E833E06D47.jpeg

That’s a great photo, it’s probably the only one I’ve seen with a No3 on it’s tripod.  I’ve never seen a tripod come up anywhere.  They just don’t seem to be out there!  My No3 is still on eBay by the way, here’s a photo of the front page. Just copy the title in & it’ll come up.  

Cheers

Steve

550C685E-B9BD-4D28-B0D2-4D2E29263FFB.png

Many thanks Steve.  I'll put a bid on!

I have never seen the bottom side of one and did not realise that they have a tapered dovetail to attach to the tripod.  It reinforces my understanding that the elevation arc is part of the tripod rather than the main part of the director.

I agree that the No.1 and No.2 Directors are rare, and I have never seen either.  A No.3 will do me for an early 18Pr gun, so I will not be competition for the No.1 or 2. If I see any, I'll let you know.

There are dial sights that are very similar to directors that mounted on a bracket on top of the shields of 18 Pounder Mk.I carriages - up to the introduction of the No.7 dial sight. 

I did not know that No.8 dial sights existed until one turned up on ebay.  The No.10 dial sight looks remarkably similar to the No.8.

I was reading something on the WW1 British optics industry, and I was surprised to see that there were No.7 Mk.I dial sights made by a London branch of Zeiss.  Finding an unmolested No.7 Mk.I would be brilliant, but one made by Zeiss London would be even better.

cheers,

Damien

I’d really appreciate you letting me know if you hear of any No 1 or No 2 directors anywhere.  They are certainly not common things to find!  Yes, the No 8 dial sight certainly has characteristics of the No 10.  One of those would be a great find if one ever crops up.  Yes Zeiss of London certainly made a batch of No7’s & Vickers actually made copies of the German Rblf.  I saw one of those & kicked myself for not getting it!  Until I got my No3 I’d also assumed the dovetail would be straight as per the No4 director head so I was surprised to see the tapered dovetail as well!  The eBay ad has about three days left to run by the way. 

Cheers

steve

20220907_135023.thumb.jpg.c514b804080c8657e097ce65439b590b.jpgSteve,

this is the closest I've ever come to having a Zeiss made No.7.  Many WW1 captured and souvenired RblF were converted by Esdaile Instrument makers in Ultimo Sydney. They were intended to fill the gap in optical munitions until Australian manufacturers could gear up, which they did.  The Australian version of the No.7 is the No.107 made by JW Handley in Victoria. It needed a new number as it was not very interchangeable with the No.7.  The converted German sights were reverted for drill and training.20220907_135023.thumb.jpg.c514b804080c8657e097ce65439b590b.jpg20220907_135221.thumb.jpg.e3b50bddc9bc814097c8cf028ee5fd2b.jpg20220907_135055.thumb.jpg.3c65fd68e3e36c5079b7f7868474ce98.jpg

Hi Damian,

I knew the Australians converted & used captured Rblf sights, but I’ve never seen one, so thank you very much for the photos!  I love the conversion stamping  on the head.  It certainly made sense to utilise captured kit.  It’s interesting that the original hook arrangement at the base was also changed to fit the sight carrier.  I imagine the whole conversion must have been a bit of a job with the Rblf being built using metric measurements!  As you say though, a useful conversion until the Australian No7 was produced.  Using them as DP sights for training was a good use of resources too!

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Damien

Have a look on Facebook for me.  My pic is of me standing in front of a Sherman tank as there’s more than one person with my name.  Send me a friend request & then I can get you on messenger to keep in touch!  Glad you’re happy with The No3!

cheers

Steve