WWII British vehicle nickname: what was an 'ark'?

10FM68

Question

I am currently reading the history of 43 (Wessex) Division from Jun 44 to May 45.  It was compiled by Maj Gen Essame, in 1951.  Formerly he had commanded 214 Inf Bde in that Division. From time to time he refers to an 'ark'.  This is not the 79 Armd Div 'ark' - the bridgelayer, but a vehicle used by commanders, including the divisional commander, Maj Gen Thomas.  Here's a quote: [Gen Thomas] then entered the steel door of the ark, slammed it to, and, standing upright, [suggesting an open top] acknowledged the brigadier's salute.  The ark shot off at speed down the road".  My thought is that an 'ark' might have been a White Scout Car, but does anyone know for certain, please?

9 answers to this question

In The Fighting Wessex Wyverns by Delaforce, which draws on the history you're reading, there's a quote from Brig. Gordon Reinhold saying that Thomas 'was always well forward in his Humber Armoured Car ['The Ark] ... ' and mention of 'the Humber Ark' getting bogged down and Thomas having to take to a Jeep.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your speedy response.  I hadn't thought of Humber - shame on me!  But, that now raises the question - which Humber?  I presume it would have been a Humber Light Reconnaissance Car as it needed a steel door and be sufficiently open at the top for the general to acknowledge the salute.  I understand that some were built as staff cars - the Royal family had some where the rear seats were provided with reinforced glass side windows.  Whether it was one of these or not, I don't know.  Interesting...

Had a quick search and found this, in an article about the Humber LRC by David Fletcher for Key Publishing / CMV:

img_46-3.jpg?itok=HKEbLSfo

Captioned as "General Ivor Thomas’ Mark IIIA modified with the turret removed for the commander of 43rd (Wessex) Division" - and seems to be of the man himself taking the salute from the opening left by removal of the turret, so explaining everything! I read the census number as M4651755.

The relevant text reads "A few were modified as senior officer’s chargers, one known from a photograph was used by Gen Ivor Thomas commanding 43rd (Wessex) Division. The turret was removed and additional vision slits added."

The article, if you're interested, is at https://www.keymilitary.com/article/protection-detail

BTW, I wonder if 'Ark' was not a nickname for that type of vehicle, but the (nick)name of that particular vehicle?

Edited by Sean N
missing word!
  • Like 3

Thank you very much indeed, Sean.  That is really kind of you to look it up for me.  As you say, that solves the mystery.  And, yes, whether 'Ark' was a particular vehicle or a more general nickname, I don't know, but, in the book, it is referred to as 'the ark' rather than 'Ark' with a capital letter, suggesting it may be a more general name than a specific one - but, that's conjecture.

Again, many thanks

47 minutes ago, B series said:

Maybe Ark is related to the vehicle description that was in general use at the time,     Armoured Reconnaissance Car / Kar became  ARK.

Churchill Ark (Armoured Ramp Carrier)

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_churchill_ark.html#:~:text=The Churchill Ark was an,two designs became very similar.

1 hour ago, B series said:

Maybe Ark is related to the vehicle description that was in general use at the time,     Armoured Reconnaissance Car / Kar became  ARK.

Could well be!  Thanks for your contribution.