Bedford OY half shaft wanted

jim fl4

Hi All,

Today, whilst driving the OY to the YWE I  had the misfortune to break a half shaft.  At least that's what I think has happened since the prop turns but no drive.  It went whilst changing up a gear on a steep hill!  I would prefer a pair (to carry a spare), I'm assuming they are identical shafts for either side?

Happy to buy a complete axle too.

Any leads gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Sorry I have had a look and cannot find one, I did have one. I think they are the same but you will have to take the other one out to push the broken piece out and can lay them together to check. I hope it is a clean break and not a shatter as you will have to take the rear pan off to check for bits. Hope you get home O.K. 

Hi John,  Thanks for your reply and taking the time to have a look.  I know what its like trying to find specific things :).

I've not started on it yet but I'm thinking that if the break is immediately where the shaft leaves the diff then I may have to remove the diff to get it out.  If I were to push it out from the other side could it drop into the trumpet/sump of the axle casing before finding the tubes, if that makes any sense!!

If it is a clean break a quick thump with a broom shank usually just slides it out, push the broom shank through with the good half shaft. When you take the outer piece out it will give you a better idea what type of break you are dealing with. My guess is that you finished off a previous fracture, so it will not be a clean break. 

Edited by john1950
  • Like 1