Testing a 1980 Bedford mk tyres?

When testing a 1980 Bedford 4x4 mk would it fail on front steer axle tyres if they are over 10 years old ?

1 I have read that non comical use vechiles over 40 years old are exempt of the 10 year rule ,but in the vosa testing manual there is no mention of this so would a testing station fail it even though other government legislation says it is exempt.

has any one tested a 3.5 ton + hobby vehicle that's over 40 years, post February 2021 test with older that 10 year tyres on the front steer axle?

I think that you are right in your understanding.  If it fails because of the front tyre, you should immediately appeal at the testing station.  The testing station manager should then check further up his food chain.  This action should establish that you are correct.  Let us know what happens!

John

Has this changed since the consultation criteria were released ?

I am sure it stated that if an lgv required an mot it would have include a 10 year life on the steering axle tyres.

Hard to keep up with this stuff, still passes the time...

The ten year rule does NOT apply to a vehicle over 40 years' old PROVIDED it has not been significantly altered AND is not used commercially.  If the these conditions are met, it can be used fully loaded.  That means that my Scammell Contractor is not caught even if it running at just under 100 tons gross train weight.  However, if I fitted a Euro 5 engine into it in order to reduce emissions and fuel consumption it would be caught.!

Remember, the regulations are not finalised until the results of the consultation are considered.

Unfortunately, because of the 14:1 axle ratio, the Contractor, needs an engine that revs to 2200 RPM and a gear-box with a 0.68 : 1 overdrive ratio so that it can achieve the necessary 30 MPH on the flat.  The contemporary engines max revs is often 2000 and less and with a direct top gear-box. 

John

6 hours ago, Mk3iain said:

Has this changed since the consultation criteria were released ?

I am sure it stated that if an lgv required an mot it would have include a 10 year life on the steering axle tyres.

Hard to keep up with this stuff, still passes the time...

That is how I read the vosa mot updated manual ,if a hobby or any vehicle 3.5+ ton vehicle is presented for mot it has to have 10 year or less to pass.

but why does government rules say any thing over 40 years is exempt from 10 year tyre rule knowing any 3.5 + ton post 1960 hobby vehicle or not needs to be tested .

if they fail vechiles on tyres they should have worded that mot exempt vechiles are also exempt tyre 10 year rule?