Land Rover Series 1 and Minerva parts....

matchlesswdg3

Question

3 answers to this question

Whoops!  Answering my own question!  But I found this on the S1 OC and it may be useful for others.  I was quite surprised as I had assumed there would be a lot of interchangeability with the only difference being material (steel rather than ally, but not so!).  I quote: "The only panel the same as a normal 80" is the panel that carries the headlights/ radiator.  Every other panel, doors door tops windscreen frame seat base floors, rear tub, bonnet, hoodsticks , bulkhead, seats, front bumper is different.

Everything is steel on a Minerva but Aluminium on a British Built 80. Nothing is galvanised on a Minerva, and things like body cappings are spot welded steel to steel of the tub and then painted. Bonnet is spot welded steel with no visible rivets,  The windscreen rest on the bonnet is painted not Galvanised.  The doors and doortops are entirely steel. The hoodsticks are smaller diameter and fix differently. The sets will be brown vinyl covered.  The canvas tilt is a different shape.  The glass of the windscreen will not be UK marked Triplex, but will be Belgium sourced and etched accordingly.  The Bulkhead is far squarer in the footwells, The windscreen catches are different, and mount upside down compared to Solihull product.  Wiper motors are single hole through the screen, not 3 holes.  Wiring loom is different and uses different coloured wires. And that is just the start of the list of differences. Most of the fittings for shock absorbers etc will be metric not BSF,  The exhaust system is totally different and exits at a different point.  Do I need to go on? Even the through floor pedal grommets are round not oval, and the gearstick gaiter is round not square. There is no tailgate in the rear tub, rather a bolted in fixed plate.  Fuel tank is different size and the stiffening cross is pressed into the steel the other way.  Tank cap much smaller.  Fuel pick up pipe is different shape. Spring shackle plates are different shape.

On the plus side the Terry clip that holds the bonnet stay is the same, even though the bonnet stay itself is different."

But you should try anyway as some things just fit fine or with some minor adaptations. On my Minerva i a had land-rover canvas . Only difference the back gate has to be longer on a minerva. You did see Minerva's with land-rover wings etc.