Dodge WC 51 Wheels

richard hulme

After many attempts to get my dodge wheels balanced following all new tyres and some noticeable wobble over 30mph, I finally arrived at a garage that could handle the size of wheel on thier truck wheel balancing machine.

To my dismay it was actually the wheels rims themselves that were ever so slightly buckled and a couple of rather buckled wheels that were causing the wobble and not balancing after all.

Does anyone have any idea if you can get them straightned? Or how to do it yourself (Big Hammer Time!).

Or where a new known good set might exist?

regards

Richard

Richard, new ones should be available. Trouble with big hammer is where to apply force. How badly distorted are they? My wheels actually have large lumps of metal welded on them, run as smooth as silk. If there only slightly out have you tried torquing down the retainer nuts on the split rim? Who fitted tyres, if they aren't on clean that can cause a slight wobble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not responding in such a long time - been busy with them wheels!

To test the quality of the rims myself i jacked the rear of the vehicle up and in 2wd set the wheels spinning at around 30mph indicated. then i monitored the wheel spinning and was shocked as the rim wallowed in and out by about 8mm on one wheel and up to 25mm on another. The tyre wallowed even more due to the greater distance from the hub.

It seems that my dodge had a collection of "the Norwegians worst wheels ever". only 1 of my 5 wheels wasn't actually buckled.

So it seemed best to just get new, luckily a new good friend has a right off with 4 good wheels on and he is letting me swap them out (he is a star!).

The welded lumps are indeed to counteract the missing steel where the valve stem pops out.

I am fitting the tyres myself with my father in laws help (47 year truck and bus mechanic) and taking extra precaution to ensure they are centered.

If they still wobble a bit at speed they may need balancing but doubt it as the original fault was caused by buckling not balancing.

Quick Question :

40 psi is the book pressure - is that what everyone else runs at?

All the best

Richard.

I don't run at anywhere near that much as its just too hard on a truck thats running empty most of the time. every lump in the road is a jarring for the old girl. The Norwegian cloverleafs currently on mine are of such heavy construction that even when almost flat they hold their shape & barely distort.

I run with about 28/30 in mine... much easier on suspension/joints/ dental fillings etc :-D