Diesel Types

I have been advised by a good friend to use a bioethanol free diesel for my FV432, here is some information on Fame.

It is used to extend or replace mineral diesel and gas oil used to fuel on and off-road vehicles and static engines. Current pump diesel can contain up to 7% FAME, however, higher levels of FAME content, even up to 100% FAME (B100), are not uncommon. It’s created during the transesterification of vegetable oils and animal fats to make biodiesel.

Any information, much appreciated.

Richard

The current UK standard for diesel (BS EN590) is a maximum of 7% FAME.  The main problem with FAME so far seems to the "diesel bug" where bacteria form on the diesel/air surface and lead to clogged filters. The effect is worse for vehicles that are sat unused for long periods, which us why it was first noticed by the boating community.  I know several FV432 owners who have found the collector tank filter to be completely clogged.  It seems that brake cleaner is the best solvent for cleaning the filter.

Andy

I have just cleaned my FV432 fuel tanks and only one tank was a little rusty, which i used Milking Parlour Milkstone remover, which I soaked for 24hrs.This worked very well, and I also cleaned the fuel lines, these were clean and no green algae was found, this may be due to the anti bug killer I put in a year ago.

I still need to find a Bioethanol free diesel fuel if it exist.

Richard