Have asked before but let rephrase it....

paul connor

landrover 109 FFR.

What would be the correct markings for EOD in Northern ireland in 1981

Ie what should be on the doors markings wise.

Would there be union jacks on the vehicle? anything painted other than the standard vehicle paint..

can some one help would be a great help

Paul, I think the reason you are getting no replies is that like others I don't think I have ever seen a picture of an EOD 109 in NI service, I'm afraid.

There would no Union Flag stickers as the original requirement for that was NATO command with two or more countries, so everybody knew which army was which. But there wouldn't be a soul over there who would be unaware which army was in support of the civil power! Possibly an ex-BAOR vehicle might still have them on if it had just arrived, but really should be painted out.

I suppose you're itching to paint red wings on it & pictures of Felix on the side? So you'll probably have to just keep it in a normal restrained run of the mill everyday paint job, I'm afraid. Not all Rovers could be EOD, MP etc there's no shame in ordinary if that was the vehicle's history. :-D

This probably won't help you, but I'm sure I read elsewhere that the rear wings on EOD/Bomb Disposal vehicles were not or it wasn't standard practice to paint them Red.

So I thought I'd post an observation, I watched a documentary on the Falklands war (possibly the Peter and Dan Snow '20th century Battles'), and in the back ground of some footage filmed on the islands duRing the conflict you could clearly see 2 EOD/Bomb Disposal S3 LWB hardtop Landies. With the usuall front wing painted in red but the rear half of the rear wings were also painted red.

On both vehicles the Red areas had been roughly painted with a very thin coat of Green paint. I assume just to try and camouflage them from air attacks.