Triumph 3HW cush drive, do I have the right part?

T8Hants

I was just about to put my cush drive together when on consulting the parts list, I noticed that a washer was required at the sprocket end of the drive

Could some kind soul tell me if the washer I have subsequently found looks to be the right one, it is quite thin?  I bought my bike as a complete basket case so the less obvious parts sometimes escape me.

I'm only two weeks off show time and she's not fully back together yet.....Thanks....Gareth

SAM_2542a.jpg

It's not very obvious about that washer Gareth but it's sort of semi shown in the 3HW parts list as #E1732. Mine was missing when I built my 3HW and Brian Tillin made me one. As you say, it's quite thin, but I can't remember if it was a spacer shim to keep the splined sleeve clear of the crank case, or to help eliminate the oil passage through the main bearings? So far I haven't found it in the 1939 parts list. I'd just carry on and fit it. It will have hardly any effect on the chain run.  Ron

Edited by Ron

Having cleaned up the washer I found, as I went to fit it that it would run  resting on the crank case face, so it can't be that one.  I also have a misalignment between the clutch sprocket and the drive sprocket, with the clutch sprocket slightly out from the drive.  I am now beginning to suspect the oil retaining plate I bought of the bay last year is too thick.  Everything is going to have to come off just to get the oil plate out, one forward two back again.

Am I right in thinking that the clutch will only have one fully home position and therefore if the oil plate is holding it off, there will be some awful rubbing noises?

Here is the exploded engine from the 3HW parts list which mentions that washer as No 72. Although I can't see it listed in the shock absorber section?? Ron

Scan_20190621.jpg

Thats an interesting point, the clutch does appear to be fully home and on spinning it there is no noise or sign of rubbing.  The drive sprocket is sitting back about 1/16 out of line, so perhaps it is the missing washer that should space that off.  I assume both sprockets should be in line.  As I have probably mentioned before this bike hasn't run since 1947,and I've had it 33 years, time is running out.

Ah well that's good news. 1/16" out of line is not the end of the Earth, your chain should cope with that ok,  but I would simply find/make a 1/16" washer to bring it in line anyway. Ron

That's good to know, part of the reason I have never progressed very far with the bike is I have always been very worried about making a mistake and wrecking something.  I am hoping with the assembled expertise on the field at Havenstreet 40's weekend I might just get it started this time around.  So she might get a start even if I have to retro fit the washer,  Draganfly will make them to order.