3HW Front Brake linkage

agmerlin

Hi All,

im in the process of restoring a Triumph 3HW and am having trouble with the front brake linkage. Does anyone have detailed photos or drawings of this area? I should mention that when I got the bike the front brake linkage was one cable from the handle bar lever to the brake lever but I’m converting it back to the original part cable, part rod linkage. Hence the general question, many thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by agmerlin
More info

Hi Ron, many thanks for responding. You very kindly advised me to contact Brian Tillin some years ago, which I did do, and purchased his stainless steel conversion kit. I’m extremely embarrassed to say I haven’t done much with the bike for a good few years. (My excuse is that I’ve been somewhat busy with a certain TT18 Canberra cockpit!) Anyway, it’s this kit that I’m now having trouble with. Do you have close up photos of the area where the cable connects to the rod linkage. I’ve put it together how I thought it should be but it doesn’t seem right somehow!

Here's a close up I have on file. The cable goes through the adjuster which is mounted through the lug on the headlamp bracket. You then feed on the hollow cap with the spring inside it and hook the cable into the fitting on the top of the rod. Make what adjustments are required to the rod length and connect the yoke to the brake arm and finally adjust the cable.  Ron 

3HW 121.JPG

Thanks Ron,

is the adjuster thumbscrew flat on the bottom, as the one I have has a vee shaped wedge sticking out of it which seems odd. (Will post some photos tomorrow) Also does the outer sleeve (with the spring in) fit inside the lug on the headlamp bracket?

Andy

The vee shapes are correct and just there to dig in and stop the knurled thumbscrew vibrating round on it's own. I thought there might be some vague divots in the lug for the vee's to locate, but can't see them on any of my 3 Triumphs. Here's one of them and you can pull the tube cap down away from the lug against the spring inside.  Ron  

DSCF1211.jpg

Edited by Ron

Hi Ron, thanks again for the info and pictures. I’ve come to the conclusion that   The reason I’ve had difficulty in fitting the cable and rod mechanism is due to two things. Firstly,  the front brakes are worn out resulting in too much travel being needed in the mechanism. Secondly, I believe that the brake lever is of the wrong type resulting in too much cable being taken up. I would be grateful if you could comment on the accompanying photos to help confirm my suspicions.

Many Thanks

Andy

22105852-679C-4C3F-8958-5388D899613A.jpeg

F133E3DF-2124-4332-A903-0C55953EBE4F.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Someone has added the side pieces to that mudguard. Originally during the war there would not have been a number plate, but of course here in UK we must have one, so anything period looking would be acceptable.  Ron

3HW 052.jpg

Advancing through France.jpg

• Like 1