Matador tanker colour

pbhawkin

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi Peter,

I assume you mean the (O)854 6x6?

As far as SCC1a went, it was only applied by the RAF for less than a year; it was introduced by AMO A1397/42 of 31st December 1942 (as paint, P.F.U., Dark Brown) and was replaced with "paint, P.F.U., black, quick drying, matt finish" in A891/43 of 9th September 1943. Unless a vehicle underwent a repaint in those 8-and-a-bit months they would have skipped that particular colour combination.

Then again it can be particularly hard to discern from black and white photographs.  

Out of interest did the AEC 0854 6x6 tanker have eau de nil as the colour for the cab interior, and was this the colour used for all RAF 'cabbed' vehicles in WW2 - or even before from the era of RAF Blue Grey from 1937?

Edited by LarryH57

Larry, the first AMO to specify an interior colour was A35/54 (February 1954) which stated eau-de-nil for the interior of crash and domestic fire trucks only. No interior colour specified for other vehicles.

In my experience, the interior was usually the same as the exterior base colour. Unless the exterior had been repainted, I guess.

Bryan,

So, presumably when the RAF had vehicles with cabs, that were painted in RAF Blue Grey in 1937 to 1941, the inside of the cab was RAF Blue Grey and later in say 1942 an SCC.2 vehicle would have the same colour in the cab.

I'm sure there are current owners of WW2 wheeled RAF vehicles who will disagree?

NB - I appreciate that an RAF armoured car might have different arrangements such as white or silver.