new cork for petrol tap bedford MW

Danny P

Probably easier to just buy some off ebay. Sometimes the stem unscrews from the knurled button and sometimes you have to punch it out with a nail and gently peen the end after it's reassembled.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2051541.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfuel+tap+corks.TRS0&_nkw=fuel+tap+corks&_sacat=9800

Ron

I think it's best to measure the bore of your tap and allow the corks to be a tight but no too tight a fit, I think the ones I bought were oversize and reduced their dia by fitting them onto a spindle and sanding them down to fit, not sure about using water tor soften them I used WD 40, Best to make sure the inside bore is clean too. Because the petrol pump is pulling the fuel from the tanks if joints etc are not tight it will allow air in causing trouble, and lastly when you come to fit the petrol tap it's best to make sure that the petrol pipes are fitted correctly or again you may struggle to get the fuel up to the carb.

J.

Well I think there are usually only about 2 sizes for the plunger type taps. Check yours and compare with what's for sale. I often have to replace leaking corks in my motorcycle taps Some are the plunger type and some are the ENOTS with a flat slide between two corks. I just buy up the different sizes for my stock at motorcycle jumbles. I usually let them soak in engine oil for a while, which also lubricates them for the first few on-offs.

Another problem I've encountered with the slide type tap, is the slide can shave little slivers off a new cork and deposit them in your main jet.....Another good reason to oil them. Ron

Typing together J!