Britsh Army Registrations

Thunderbolt

Hi all, two questions please:

I am the new owner of a 1943 Willys MB, which was 'de-mobbed' at MOD disposals in 1959. Where can I look up her Army registration number to find out regimental history? The number was 44 YH 50.

Also, where can I look up regimental vehicle markings - although I want to discover the jeep's actual army record I'd like to 'badge' her with my dad's old unit, 3rd Btn Coldstream Guards, anti-tank platoon.

thanks,

Chris

Hi all, two questions please:

I am the new owner of a 1943 Willys MB, which was 'de-mobbed' at MOD disposals in 1959. Where can I look up her Army registration number to find out regimental history? The number was 44 YH 50.

Also, where can I look up regimental vehicle markings - although I want to discover the jeep's actual army record I'd like to 'badge' her with my dad's old unit, 3rd Btn Coldstream Guards, anti-tank platoon.

thanks,

Chris

Join this group Chris https://www.facebook.com/groups/424561644379118/ your post war reg number may possibly already be recorded there if not they will be pleased to add you to the list you'll find loads of information about wartime/post war number tracing

Good luck and come back here and tell us how you get on photos are good ;)

Pete

The Royal Logistics Corps Museum have got the keycard for your Jeep. This will probably contain its original M-series number but it is very unlikely that it will have any details of units. For that, the only way is to carefully search through all the layers of paint for any markings which might survive. You can order the card here:

http://www.rlcarchive.org/VehicleSrch

I also recommend the Facebook group to which Pete Ashby gives a link. You will find examples of Jeep keycards on there.