Ferret oil leak

gordonb

On top of the engine oil filter housing there is a large nut which holds the bowl on. Either side of this nut there are two tapped holes, one to the front of the vehicle, the other to the rear. These holes are maybe 2BA or 4BA, that sort of size. When the engine is running oil comes out of the rear hole.

From what I can see in the manual nothing is fitted to these holes. Are they for pressure relief or should there be a plug in them? I'd like to know the cause of the leak before I take it all apart.

Gordon

There should be a little cage that fits over the nut to prevent it from working loose. Each tab of the cage is held in place by the screws, which secure in the holes you mention. Should be no issue fitting a screw and copper washer to cure the leak, though it probably should be a blind hole.

Shown in the pictures on Marcus Glenns website

http://marcusglenn.com/cvrw-fox-fv-721/oil-filter-inc-housing-

Edited by Grasshopper
Added link to picture

I've never seen a Ferret fitted with that cage on the nut (the Australian ones are all early-ish Mk 1 and Mk 2 vehicles), but my Mk 5 Saracen has one. In any case, the holes are blind and no oil should be coming out of them. If there is oil around them, it is more likely to be coming from the main bolt not being tight enough, or an oil spill or leak from somewhere else is being flicked there by the fan or fan belts (the filter is directly in line with anything being flicked around, so they can often look like they're leaking, when in fact they aren't).

Saracen Oil Filter.jpg

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by Starfire
Picture added.