WWII - U.S. Miltary AEC no. USA201126

billh35

The only impressed AEC that comes to mind is a bus.

The USAAF were given some impressed busses to ferry air crew and casualties between bases and hospitals. Might be one of those since it is USA 20xxxx and the 20 prefix normally denotes a personnel carrier of some kind.

I think I saw that in Fred Crismon's US Military Wheeled Vehicles, but not sure.

The only impressed AEC that comes to mind is a bus.

The USAAF were given some impressed busses to ferry air crew and casualties between bases and hospitals. Might be one of those since it is USA 20xxxx and the 20 prefix normally denotes a personnel carrier of some kind.

I think I saw that in Fred Crismon's US Military Wheeled Vehicles, but not sure.

The US used AEC-0854 refuellers in the UK no idea what serial no's they carried

US military regal.JPG

It is an AEC Regal bus but not the normal ones which were impressed from London Transport. I will see if I can post a photo of it. I would like to know what it's pre-U.S. identity was.

Edited by billh35

I am trying to identify its' history before it was impressed as it was obviously a civilian vehicle.

I have been researching the rather obscure field of what happened to vehicles which were impressed and then what happened to them.

At the start of the War a number of buses were impressed from the Northern Ireland Road Transport Board and shipped off. Around the same time the Royal Army Service Corps created a Motor Coach Company at Gosford Castle, Co. Armagh with an extensive fleet of vehicles to move troops urgently in the event of a feared German invasion of the Irish Republic to open a second front. Once U.S. troops were deployed to Northern Ireland the threat receded and the MCC vehicles were sold off to the NIRTB who were very short of vehicles for transporting war workers. They acquired 129 vehicles - all of these are well documented thanks to me having access to official records of the NIRTB.

The Americans, brought in even more vehicles and I am keen to establish (a) the history of this and buses which were impressed (b) whether this vehicle was used in the Londonderry area where the Americans had a large presence.

I would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction for researching buses and coaches used during WWII.

Thanks for your help in advance.