Recovery Kit

Montieth

So, as is evidenced by our search for clutch bits for Vandal (HAC Mk IV F133744), we had an issue getting it recovered off the range at Fort Indiantown Gap. IT was challenging to do so when we didn't have a good way to tow it and had to resort to loading on a flat bed (another re-enactor had a decent amount of kit but loading was still touch and go).

The question that comes up is how/what do you chaps use for when you need a tow bar? A US Medium Towbar would be nice, but there is the obvious question of how to connect to the recovery loops on the front of the WWII vehicles which did NOT have a fixed shackle pin hole but instead have the welded on loops.

What do you chaps use for this sort of evolution?

We have used a Hollebone A frame and a couple of shackles in situations like this. Only good for short distance, slow speed recovery or winching though as there is a fair amount of slack in the connections. I have seen some people make bespoke packing pieces to fit in the welded loops to take a specific sized pin to use with the Hollebone.

I was thinking of something like that. We were looking at possibly having to tow off the range and a set of chains with lots of slack seemed like a great way to have an accident.

I'm thinking a bit of cast iron shaped to fit in the loops and a set of plates/brackets to go over them that then allow connection to a standard towbar pin set.

web%202-3%20Beast%20Rebuild%20Camera%20001.jpg

Hi

Interesting question, what I've done to attach modern military tow bar (heavy) to my CMPs is took two of the modern towing pintal plates and drilled them to match the mounting plates CMPs Towing Pintal bolt pattern. Then I just carry that plate and longer grade 8 bolts with the towning bar. That and good ratched wrench makes the switch over pretty quick. Also makes nice tight fit and the vehicle tow well, never have had to use it on a really long tow but few miles under less than ideal conditions works great.

Bigger issue I've had is being able to stop the towed vehicle but that was towing WWII with WWII vehicles I suspect that you are talking about towing WWII with more modern MVs.