POL markings

ted angus

Question

3 answers to this question

Ted I have got quite a number of documents relating to vehicle markings of their various kinds. Nowhere can I find a requirement for painting any of the cooling system blue. In 50s & 60s there were some odd embellishments when in depot storage. You mention AL39 so that has got to be 1978 onwards & there seems to be even less painting since then, other than marking the identity of the product itself to be used.

That only relates to the Army, but goodness knows what the RAF got up to :D

Hi Clive, I recall back in the day ! we used to use various colours on bowsers or small storage tanks, red Civgas or combat gas, yellow diesel, Black & white Avtur, and blue for both ground and air use coolants- looking at the current JSP 317 there are now dozens of different coloured labels, & marking for all manner of POL products. I am wondering if the marking my lad had found under many layers of paint on his Lightweight are a throw back to those days, where use of the colours was extended to vehicles & equipment

regards TED