Figured out a solution for a problem we all have

tankdriver

Well, we all have problems with our switch knobs losing the white lettering over time, and we buy new ones. Either repo metal or plastic. But I wanted to use my original real ones. So here is what I did.....

I cleaned the knobs really well.

Let them dry overnight.

I used a white paint stick, liquid, not one that has a paste.

I let it dry just a couple of minutes, then lightly wiped it off. Which smeared the whole knob with a light coat of white, and looks really bad.

I did not let it set, but I lightly sprayed some Brake cleaner on a rag, and start wiping around the parts of the knob but rub real lightly on the part with the lettering.

It turns out pretty well.

I wish I had taken before photos, but I really did not think it would work as well as it did.

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

It is very large, it over fills the letters, and covers parts of the knob. that is why I go through how to clean it up. But also only takes about 5 minutes a knob to do, not counting the cleaning, and drying well overnight. If you look close, you can see some of the white around the edge, where I still need to clean it a little better.

Another way is to spray the knobs with a 2 pac paint , and fill the white letters in with white spirrit based paint afterwards , whipe off eccessive paint , and when almost fully dry whipe off remaining paint , works always good .

Ok thanks. Even with a very fine brush there was some overflow that needed some wiping.

The marker looks handy.

I'm too old and do not have a steady enough hand to use a brush. So I went with sloppy way.....:-)

Here is how large the point is.....

IMG_1619.jpg