Help identifying (and valuing) parachutes please

g0ozs

Dear All

As I get further through the items from my late father's collection I find I have at least 4 parachutes - I would welcome help with ID and valuation (someone has first refusal on them but I dont think either of us are parachute experts!)

I havent unpacked the chutes mainly because I don't have a large clean open dry area to do it (and secondly because I am not sure I could re-pack them well enough to go back in the bag - I think my dad had the same problem as 2 are in non original bags!

Thanks in advance

Iain

Not a parachute - I think this is a red + marker for indicating an air drop target or helicopter landing point (I dimly remember partly unpacking it a few years ago when clearing my dad's apartment) - can anyone confirm ?

ground-marker-bag-text.jpg

ground-marker-bag-1JPG.jpg

ground-marker-bag-2.jpg

ground-marker-bag-inside.jpg

@Moderators: I couldn't decide if this belongs in clothing or weapons/accessories (and I considered "I may be stupid but" ;) )so please move this where it belongs if you thing I chose the wrong sub-forum.

A small parachute (is it too small for a person?) in a sand coloured bag with a 1944 date stamp - the label printing is faded but may say "size 22" near the stamp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112035[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]112036[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]112037[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]112038[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]112039[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]112040[/ATTACH]

I am not an expert on parachutes, however a few years ago I managed to blag a guided tour of the parachute museum at Brize,Norton they showed me a chute like this that was designed for the parachute instructor to use in the air , in case they got pulled out during training, they had to open the front and chuck it out, and it was on the small side, but the bloke said its better than waving your arms in the air

Not a parachute - I think this is a red + marker for indicating an air drop target or helicopter landing point (I dimly remember partly unpacking it a few years ago when clearing my dad's apartment) - can anyone confirm ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112054[/ATTACH]

Looks very much like the Marker Panel kit I have - are there metal pins included as well and are the Panels reversible with White on the other side?

Tim

And for my next item ..

mini-chute-label.jpg

The bag is about 6 x 4 x 4 inches and designed to pull open when the nylon lanyard is pulled - it seems to have a small 'chute inside but seems more suited to my daughter's teddy bear than a person (next church tower teddy bear drop sorted ... ) - anyone know what the original owners used it for ?

mini-chute-1.jpg

mini-chute-2.jpg

mini-chute-3.jpg

mini-chute-4.jpg

Hi

I havent unpacked it yet (partly for lack of a clean large area to do it and partly for fear of being unable to get it back in its bag - as seems to have happened to two of the full size parachutes shown above!)

I will investigate further next time I am at the barn. It did occur to me that the long lanyard and the loops in which it was originally folded were a delay device as it separated from whatever it was attached to - that would fit with the idea of a drogue or extraction 'chute

Regards

Iain