NBC Kit

SimonLMoore

Hi Chaps,

I've fairly recently started collecting NBC kit and basically keen to learn more about when various components of the clothing and accoutrements were introduced.

I know this is a slightly nebulous subject and I could easily fill a post with direct questions but I was hoping someone could advise me of any literature or online resources covering NBC kit and particularly dates of introduction of various marks of kit. http://www.crusader80.co.uk/nbc.html gives some information but I am keen to learn more. I did search the forum but found nothing, happy to be linked to anything I have missed!

Specifically interested in the period from introduction up to the 1980s.

One direct question I will ask regards the canvas S6 respirator haversack; as well as the loop for the anti-dimming outfit there are two small pockets sewn inside the front face, one inside the other. Can anyone tell me what parts of the NBC accoutrements these pockets were intended to carry?

One direct question I will ask regards the canvas S6 respirator haversack; as well as the loop for the anti-dimming outfit there are two small pockets sewn inside the front face, one inside the other. Can anyone tell me what parts of the NBC accoutrements these pockets were intended to carry?

This is I think for the plastic one. I have some canvas ones but not to hand, but I expect it would be pretty similar.

App0532.jpg

Thanks for that, no worries on the stowage for the Mk. 2 haversack, I have a copy of Survive to Fight from '83 which covers this but the earlier haversack has reduced space, a lot of this kit would not fit so I'm interested in what specifically was carried early on. I'm guessing it was probably just DKP1 and 2 and maybe a book of detector paper but I'm not certain.

Here are some titles of official literature that I have gathered, its not a subject I especially collect but there may be a few pointers for you look out for. The first number is the WO or Army Code No. of the publication.

14739 Catalogue of Ordnance Stores & Ammunition Section A2. NBC Defence Stores other than Radiac equipment. 1986

60993 Materiel Regulations of the Army Vol.1, Materiel Management & Supply, Pam. No.10. NBC Clothing & Equipment. Jun.2000

61192 User Handbook, Decontamination Apparatus, NBC Portable. Oct.1976

70273 NBC Defence Training. Vol. 1. Pam. No.3. Nuclear, Biological & Chemical Defence Equipment. July 1966

71328 Manual of Nuclear, Biological & Chemical Defence Training on Land. Pamphlet No. 1. Background to NBC Defence. 1983

71328 Manual of Nuclear, Biological & Chemical Defence Training on Land. Pamphlet No.4. Unit Instructor’s Handbook. 1985

9466 Precautions Against Nuclear Attack. 1957

70974 REME. Training Manual, Supplement No.5. REME & Nuclear, Biological & Chemical Operations. Jun.1974

Though it doesn't answer any of your questions, in the 80's I used to run a small engineering workshop in Surrey, I got the contract to design and build the hot bonding presses to make the uppers of the overboot, other companies moulded the sole and heel, I designed and built the bonding presses to join the parts together.

overboot press.jpg

Speaking of boots, I'd be interested, what are the differences regarding the Mk. 1 boots compared to the Mk. 2, the earliest I have seen examples of. I'm guessing they were introduced roughly consistently with new marks of suits?

I've also not seen inner or outer gloves designated with different marks of development, so again I assume the design remained fairly constant from the introduction of NBC kit?

Any info much appreciated!

Edited by SimonLMoore

The first overboots we worked with the soles and heel were moulded flat and the bonder that joined upper to sole did not touch the heel part, the lacing was intended to pull it into shape around the heel of the boot. It was discovered, when squaddies tested them, that the overboot gradually moved out of position.

The next design still had the flat molded sole but the bonder had to position and seal all around the heel flap. As long as the operator placed the uncured butyl joining tape correctly the seal was good but the join needed to be trimmed.

The MOD then asked if the heel could be molded upright, this was done successfully by a company, who's name escapes me, in Birmingham and they got the contract. The bonding machine in the picture I posted was the first prototype of the machines we supplied to enable them to fulfill the contract.

Very interesting Rog, thank you for sharing.

If I understand right what you're saying is on the first boots you worked with the heel of the soft uppers eventually worked its way off the tougher sole, despite the lacing and ended up contacting the ground? I can imagine the heel of the boot within easily tearing through in such a situation.

Was the company Leyland and Birmingham Rubber?

I'm guessing this is what led to the fish tail heel in the Mk. 3 where there are two holes on each side of a fish tail-shaped section of sole which raps up around the heel which I imagine would be effective in preventing the heel of the uppers slipping off the tougher sole material.

Edited by SimonLMoore

despite the lacing and ended up contacting the ground?

We were never told the full detail, we were just asked to come up with a way to fix the wrap-round heel to the upper. We came up with a flexible/inflatable/heated platen that pushed in from the back of the machine, it worked fine. :)

Leyland and Birmingham Rubber

Hmmm, We worked with LBR, it was either them or BTR.