WW2 Vehicle Contract Cards

matman41

Question

Hi All,

Sorry if this question has already been asked at some point on here.

On WW2 contract cards for British vehicles, in the top corner there is generally a Catalogue Reference number.

Can anyone tell me what exactly these relate to, were they master drawings or something?

And do any of these Catalogues still exist anywhere?

Regards

Mel

2 answers to this question

Hi All,

Sorry if this question has already been asked at some point on here.

On WW2 contract cards for British vehicles, in the top corner there is generally a Catalogue Reference number.

Can anyone tell me what exactly these relate to, were they master drawings or something?

And do any of these Catalogues still exist anywhere?

Regards

Mel

If you were to see the B Vehicle Census Number list that Rob van Meel produced in alphabetical order of manufacturers, it becomes clear. The Cat. Ref. which is also stamped on the vehicle's contract plate, is the running number of the contracts that the manufacturer has from the government. It did not make sense until I saw this list.

If you were to see the B Vehicle Census Number list that Rob van Meel produced in alphabetical order of manufacturers, it becomes clear. The Cat. Ref. which is also stamped on the vehicle's contract plate, is the running number of the contracts that the manufacturer has from the government. It did not make sense until I saw this list.

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for this info, by strange coincidence I ordered a copy of that very booklet from Rob on Monday!!.

Would I be right in assuming there would have also been some kind of 'master order' as build details on these cards are rather sketchy or non-existent?

Regards

Mel