Was Linatex ever used to line tanks?

fv1609

I know Linatex was used to line aircraft fuel tanks because it has great elasticity & can seal over a puncture from a bullet. But was it ever used to line the insides of tanks (AFVs) or indeed their fuel tanks?

Great play is made in their advertising of the anti-ballistic properties for use in shooting ranges, fuel tanks, mining industry etc

I can find no reference to tanks (AFVs) so one might think its military use was just be for aircraft?

However it was used by the Army for some purpose because it is listed in Catalogue of Ordnance Stores & Ammunition, Section LV6/MT6 Rubber hose, sheet, strip & tyre repair materials

It is listed in COSAs 1979 & 1981, but does not appear in the equivalent VAOS of 1961.

It was 50 in wide & in 150ft rolls so would have been very heavy.

Any ideas what the Army used it for?

Hi Clive,

When I used to belong to a local rifle club many years back, we used the Army Cadet Force indoor range. the backstop was sand, but it had a Linatex curtain in front so the bullet went through the target, then the curtain and any ricochet was held or slowed by the curtain. Problem was with the tight grouping of shots it was not long before the Linatex got a bit tatty behind the target frames. I am sure this was probably supplied by the army to the ACF.

Richard did it have any pattering on the surface? According to COSA it does but I think the entry has got mixed up with the Trakmark entry above it!

Given that it is in COSA LV6/MT6 it must have had a vehicular purpose any ideas?

Richard did it have any pattering on the surface? According to COSA it does but I think the entry has got mixed up with the Trakmark entry above it!

Given that it is in COSA LV6/MT6 it must have had a vehicular purpose any ideas?

Clive,

I recall it was a red or pink colour, no pattern that I recall. I will ask my brother as he was sometimes involved in changing the curtain.

Linatex was used for selfsealing on the outside of aircraft fuel tanks from about 1939. It was used as two skins with raw rubber sandwiched between. It was not supposed to be bullet proof, just resistant to bullet damage and as a bullet or piece of shrapnel passed through it and into the tank it allowed petrol into contact with the rubber which expanded and plugged the bullet hole. I believe it was used on Staghound early self sealing fuel tanks and was often glued into place with a resin based glue which was redish in colour. With age it collects dust and goes black.