Some bits and pieces

matchstick

Thought I'd share a a couple of items in my collection that haven't been buried away.

Headover, Balaclava. Never seen 22G prefix before.

IMG_4876.jpg

Sleeping bag, Fleet 1981 dated, full length Opti zips down each side.

IMG_4889.jpg

RAC? Helmet '85 dated liner frame and '81 dated padding bit. missing the bits for attatching the chin strap and the chin strap. (if anyone has some spare?)

IMG_4903.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4879.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_4882.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4888.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_4893.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

IMG_4902.jpg

1966 dated size 5, 60 pattern combat smock. Evidence of Para wings of some sort having once been attatched. came with Sgt stripes attatched, although the right hand side ones are a bit skewiff. looks as if it's had LCpl and Cpl stripes at some point as well underneath the Sgt's ones.

IMG_4883.jpg

All the signs of a professional, back when we came under C.I. 5

IMG_4907.jpg

Hat, Dangerous Brian/Deputy Dawg. Got this cheap buried amongst a load of Dutch ones. Made by Compton and Webb(headdress). Now I'm just looking out for one of the more commonly seen version but pre-D.P.M (so far the only one I've seen is in an old cold war exercise photo of A.A.C in winter)

IMG_4911.jpg

Not 100% sure on date etc of this one it's about a 6 3/4- 6 7/8 or 54-55cm as it fit's my tiny noggin perfect, evidence it once had a cap badge inserted in the front where a small slit's been cut into the pocket bit. No idea on what units would have had these.

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4879.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_4882.jpg

IMG_4905.jpg

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4909.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

1966 dated size 5, 60 pattern combat smock. Evidence of Para wings of some sort having once been attatched. came with Sgt stripes attatched, although the right hand side ones are a bit skewiff. looks as if it's had LCpl and Cpl stripes at some point as well underneath the Sgt's ones.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]111250[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111251[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111252[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111253[/ATTACH]

All the signs of a professional, back when we came under C.I. 5

[ATTACH=CONFIG]111254[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111255[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111256[/ATTACH]

Hat, Dangerous Brian/Deputy Dawg. Got this cheap buried amongst a load of Dutch ones. Made by Compton and Webb(headdress). Now I'm just looking out for one of the more commonly seen version but pre-D.P.M (so far the only one I've seen is in an old cold war exercise photo of A.A.C in winter)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]111257[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111258[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111259[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111260[/ATTACH]

Not 100% sure on date etc of this one it's about a 6 3/4- 6 7/8 or 54-55cm as it fit's my tiny noggin perfect, evidence it once had a cap badge inserted in the front where a small slit's been cut into the pocket bit. No idea on what units would have had these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]111261[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]111262[/ATTACH]

Very nice bits there,that type of helmet was also used by RN gun crews and also Royal Marines for riot/crowd duty. plenty of chinstraps complete on Ebay and should only cost you a couple of quid.

The last hat is a Combat Cap,50s era from memory and unfortunately missing its oilcloth lining and leather sweatband. Funnily enough only just looking at a complete one on Ebay,reasonably priced at £15 as a smallish size(larger ones go for a lot more).

Did the British issue a non DPM cold weather hat?

Probably be a foreign one you have seen in pics,Norgi maybe as the Norgi Green Ski Type Caps were also popular.

Did the British issue a non DPM cold weather hat?

Probably be a foreign one you have seen in pics,Norgi maybe as the Norgi Green Ski Type Caps were also popular.

If I can remember where I put the picture at I'll upload it at some point, but it looks exactly the same as the dpm ones just plain green.

RAF Vocabulary

22 - Clothing & Accoutrements

22G - Miscellaneous

I thought it might be, I was aware that 22C was an air force prefix for flying kit, I've just never seen it on anything else before. Everyday's a school day.

Very nice bits there,that type of helmet was also used by RN gun crews and also Royal Marines for riot/crowd duty. plenty of chinstraps complete on Ebay and should only cost you a couple of quid.

The last hat is a Combat Cap,50's era from memory and unfortunately missing its oilcloth lining and leather sweatband. Funnily enough only just looking at a complete one on Ebay,reasonably priced at £15 as a smallish size(larger ones go for a lot more).

I shall have to peruse for the chin straps, and a helmet net me thinks.

Picked up the cap for a fiver after a lot of digging in, around and through the sort of mess that would give hygiene and H&S inspectors a heart attack.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-BRITISH-ARMY-BRODIE-AND-TURTLE-HELMET-OD-ELASTICATED-CHIN-STRAP-MILITARY-HAT-/231367753600?var=&hash=item35de97bf80:m:mKqo3IekAxCHqztNGfMvL_Q

This is the correct type of chinstrap but wouldnt expect to pay more than around £4 for one to be honest.

Earlier helmets were fitted with the MKIII khaki elastic chinstrap and I gather some of this type of helmet-in RAC use? were fitted with a khaki QR chinstrap but for your helmet the green type would be more suitable.

• 3 weeks later...

Was a bit surprised when I got this as all the advertised ones were black, it's only just marginally larger than a black one and one digit up on the last 4 of the NSN. Alas like my 1964 dated green 58 pattern bottle (F&G) it has black lids.

I did spy and badly disguised green large lid for one of these water jerries at my last unit but unable to liberate it :rolleyes:

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

Thought this was a late one from the advert pictures and the description, but judging from the fact that this looks like it hasn't been disassembled since it was issued and everything (that still has print left on it) is from the mid to late 70's I'm inclined to think it's as early as it claims. Bargain at a few pennies over £30 I think. just need a rather used later one to use up all the usable leftovers from a later one as I don't want to ruin my brand spankers 1989 one.

could also use the hard plastic insert for the internal back support, just another 2 things too look out for.

IMG_5107.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

whilst the plastic is slightly more tactical than the metal ones I wouldn't have thought it could take the beating or the loads but looking at the state of this it clearly can (at least I think it can)

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

I seem to recall that the nylon AFV crewman's coveralls were G10/98 issue, rather than personal issue, and certainly in the Yeomanry, were not particularly popular, and so rarely worn.

I think you'll find that the nylon strap under the epaulettes was incorporated to assist with the extraction of wounded crewmen from an AFV.

I seem to recall that the nylon AFV crewman's coveralls were G10/98 issue, rather than personal issue, and certainly in the Yeomanry, were not particularly popular, and so rarely worn.

I think you'll find that the nylon strap under the epaulettes was incorporated to assist with the extraction of wounded crewmen from an AFV.

I suppose that makes sense for the nylon straps, whilst these probably didn't get used too much given the minor repairs using some sort of similar dpm fabric to the back around the seat it clearly had some use.

The next time I get sent to clean a vehicle, or for that matter my own car (it could use it) I'll be breaking these out.

Yes 1965 is the earliest plastic British water carriers I have seen after looking for some 30 years. I have two dated 1965, a black one & green one (green cap).

Occasionally you will see 1964 in peuce green but the give away is that the NCB is not 99 but 66 (Australia), of those I have never seen anything earlier.

Yes 1965 is the earliest plastic British water carriers I have seen after looking for some 30 years. I have two dated 1965, a black one & green one (green cap).

Occasionally you will see 1964 in peuce green but the give away is that the NCB is not 99 but 66 (Australia), of those I have never seen anything earlier.

Interesting.

When mine arrived I was rather surprised as I'd never seen a green one before then and and all the ones in the listing from which I purchased it in were 80's and 90's black ones.

Until I perused this forum I'd only ever seen one green 58 bottle (sadly with black lid), which at £5 I grabbed there and then.

I'm sure I'll stumble across the appropriate lids one day though.

Things turn up in the most bizarre places, I was in a charity shop on Sunday and came across a brand new liner, extreme cold weather jacket (long sleeve button fronted) 170/100 manufactured by Tyne Textiles LTD for £3, last place I expected to find something like that.