Floppy Ferret gear change pedal

njjeeper

I need help with the gear change pedal. There is no spring tension at all. I removed the 4 bolt cover plate and the shaft is rotating the arm under the cover. It also seems to be moving a rod up and down but I cant see down into the oil far enough to see whats happening below. I got the trans for this ferret already out of the vehicle so i have never seen this work before.

Can someone help me figure out the safest way to troubleshoot this? That spring in there looks quite dangerous. Any tips?.

TJ

I need help with the gear change pedal. There is no spring tension at all. I removed the 4 bolt cover plate and the shaft is rotating the arm under the cover. It also seems to be moving a rod up and down but I cant see down into the oil far enough to see whats happening below. I got the trans for this ferret already out of the vehicle so i have never seen this work before.

Can someone help me figure out the safest way to troubleshoot this? That spring in there looks quite dangerous. Any tips?.

TJ

That spring is the BUSBAR SPRING and yes it can kill you if you open the cover up without knowing how to properly release the pressure...Your BUSBAR spring came off the rod most likely caused by improper operation of the GCP...The BUSBAR spring and it's rod needs to be properly set up now and hopefully nothing is broken inside......You need to get the manuals for your Ferret...Get all the manuals..One main manual is

SCOUT CAR,FERRET,ALL MARKS USER HANDBOOK.....In that manual page 119 under Servicing-Gear Change Pedal you can find out more.......What country are you in ?

Joe in Black Hills USA

Edited by joeferret

TJ

You describe problems with pedal, then say the box is out. With the length of the arm, there is no way you can compress the busbar spring without more leverage. When we operate these out of a vehicle for setting up purposes, a handle is used. Is there a problem with the box, or are you just checking it? you will need to fully understand its workings and adjustments before going any further.

The box was out of the ferret when I got it, but I just installed it and hooked up the linkage. Thats how I know its not working. Full pedal travel and no resistance. Im going to dig in a bit and see if I can visualize the bottom of the busbar spring by removing some oil. I dont plan on removing the spring cover without the longer bolts to ease the pressure. Ill report back if I find anything.

Joe, I am in the US.

The box was out of the ferret when I got it, but I just installed it and hooked up the linkage. Thats how I know its not working. Full pedal travel and no resistance. Im going to dig in a bit and see if I can visualize the bottom of the busbar spring by removing some oil. I dont plan on removing the spring cover without the longer bolts to ease the pressure. Ill report back if I find anything.

Joe, I am in the US.

The first thing to do is to remove the large tin cover with about 15 screws holding it. From this you will be able to ascertain if it is in gear, and also the state of the bands on 1, 2, 3 and 4th gears.

Richard