Bedford MW colour coding for side lights

Davey089

Question

17 answers to this question

Hi Dave

feed wire is white

earth wire is red with a green tracer

taken from march 1945 workshop manual for an MWR which also has drawings for the OX and OY all have the same colour wires for the side lights this was probably the standard wire colour for all war time Bedfords .

cannot help with wire size though i ordered my front panel wiring loom from Auto sparks if that's any help .

Nick

Hi Dave

feed wire is white

earth wire is red with a green tracer

taken from march 1945 workshop manual for an MWR which also has drawings for the OX and OY all have the same colour wires for the side lights this was probably the standard wire colour for all war time Bedfords .

cannot help with wire size though i ordered my front panel wiring loom from Auto sparks if that's any help .

Nick

Thanks Nick , that's helped .I'll have a search on the net , maybe one of the Classic/vintage car sites will have a sizing chart .

thanks again Nick

Nick,

what at colour are your headlight cables on your autospark loom please?

also if you opted for indicators, what colour are these on the loom? Green with red tracers?

i can't make heads or tails of the red additional cable left over for the instrument panel that isn't on the diagram.

and the blue red, blue white cables including the green white where there is only one 17 that runs from the oil thermostat to the dial?

any info much appreciated.

thanks luke

Nick,

what at colour are your headlight cables on your autospark loom please?

also if you opted for indicators, what colour are these on the loom? Green with red tracers?

i can't make heads or tails of the red additional cable left over for the instrument panel that isn't on the diagram.

and the blue red, blue white cables including the green white where there is only one 17 that runs from the oil thermostat to the dial?

any info much appreciated.

thanks luke

Hi Luke

Hope the following answers your question

1) head lamp cable colours

dip beam = blue with red tracer

main beam = blue with white tracer

2) indicator colours

right indicator = green with red tracer

left indicator = green with white tracer (all the above would be the standard post war colours for most vehicles .)

3) red cable on instrument panel ,the only red cable i can find goes from terminal P on the dynamo control box to terminal D+ on the ignition switch.

4) green /white wire oil thermostat (is this the pressure switch ) to the dial (is this to the oil pressure warning light ).

looking at your post i think that all the cables you are having problems with relate to the head lamps and indicators.

if you are using one of the original wiring diagrams , have you looked at the following ,

the early wiring diagrams i have found show that when the dip switch is pressed it switches off the right head lamp ,the later drawing shows only one head lamp fitted at the left side

to work with a modern wiring loom fitted with indicators and dipping head lamps you need to change the front and rear round junction boxes from the original four (front ) two (rear )terminal type to the larger six terminal ones (the front one should go on the outside of the right radiator support bracket ,and the rear one is fitted to outer face of the last chassis cross-member i have also seen depending on what model/date your truck a second front junction box on the left radiator support bracket this i think was used when the dip switch turned out one head lamp on the left ?), in your wiring loom kit from Auto Sparks there should also be an additional loom which goes from the six pole junction box to the dip switch with three wires fitted in it consisting of blue , blue with white tracer and blue with red tracer this is used to switch the head lamps from dip to main beam using the dip switch.

When i bought my truck it came with a new loom which the previous owner had manufactured by a company which made wiring looms for classic cars but the loom for the front grill and the dip switch loom had been made up and fitted using modern wires and looked wrong for the age of the vehicle Auto sparks were very helpful in making up the correct replacement looms with the correct colours and the Bedford woven outer cover i have found my original drawings for both of these looms which i can post on here if you need a more help .

hope this answers your questions if not let me know and i can look again

Nicky

Hi Luke

dip switch is located on the engine bulkhead to the right of the instrument panel it would seam that the dip switch was only factory fitted on the early trucks with the two head lamps on my truck the hole had been blanked off but when i removed all the rubbish fitted by the previous owner i found that the Lucas dip switch fitted the hole in the dash exactly with all the screw holes lining up ( i used the floor mounted dip switch for an early series two land rover )a quick look in an early MW parts book gives a Lucas part number 360007 googleing the number gives Lucas number 31284 which looks correct

photo 1 shows holes covered up and wrong dip switch fitted by previous owner the two pop rivets are filling the mounting screw holes for the dip switch

39.jpg

photo 2 shows newly fitted dash panel with dip switch to side just under the hand throttle to the right of ammeter/oil pressure gauge

176.jpg

hope this helps is that your truck i have seen on facebook

Nick

Hi Nick,

thats perfect thank you :)

nice location for the Lucas indicator too!

one more cheeky request of you wouldn't mind, being the 6 pole junction box replacing the 4 pole on the front right, which wires would now go to them? I was wiring up the whites to that location. And also before I forget, with the low and high beam wiring, which twin element bulbs would you suggest for headlights please?

yes that's my dads MWR on Facebook that I've been restoring for 2 years now out in the open against the elements :(

Hi Luke

i will post you a photo of the junction box with the lid off and check up on the head lamp bulbs at the week end but looking at the drawing i sent to Auto Sparks for the loom for the front grill the following wires come out of the junction box going to the front

green /red tracer = right indicator

white = both front side lights

green/white tracer= left indicator

blue/red tracer = head lamp dip beam (wire to each lamp)

blue/white tracer = head lamp main beam (wire to each lamp)

Nick

Nick your diagram that you have does it detail where a mauve and black wire attach too? I've followed what you've written and it's all coming together :) just on the original mauve and black went to the control box, post war as I know now it doesn't, I believe the other end of the mauve wire is connected to the dash in the panel lamp switch with the brown.

thanks for your advice so far

regards,

Luke

Hi Luke

sorry i have only just caught on that you don't have a copy of the MW wiring loom you should have asked before

drawing is from Bedford MW drivers hand book dated January 1945 i think this a generic MW wiring diagram as it shows the dip switch turning out one head lamp when on dip ,but most late war time photos show only one head lamp fitted

img020.jpg

a mauve and a black wire are part of the brake light circuit

Nick

Hi Luke

sorry i have only just caught on that you don't have a copy of the MW wiring loom you should have asked before

drawing is from Bedford MW drivers hand book dated January 1945 i think this a generic MW wiring diagram as it shows the dip switch turning out one head lamp when on dip ,but most late war time photos show only one head lamp fitted

[ATTACH=CONFIG]111654[/ATTACH]

a mauve and a black wire are part of the brake light circuit

Nick

perfect thanks again Nick :)

and one one last question 'honest' what type of brake light switch have you gone for or could recommend please?

Hi Luke

as promised photo number one shows the junction box at the drivers side radiator bracket showing the colours connected in it

DSCF0675.jpg

photo two and three show the head lamp ,which is a modern pre -focus type (sorry no idea were they came from ) and the pre- focus bulb which came with them you will find them on e-bay i would think .

DSCF0676.jpg

DSCF0678.jpg

The brake lamp switch on my truck is the factory fitted one which screws into a tee connected into the hydraulic system going forward from the master cylinder try either Chris Morter or Norman Aish for the parts

any luck with the radio earth s i asked about on your truck

Nick

Perfect thanks for that Nick!

The strap like grounding cables from memory were two on the outside cab on both sides located where marked on this photo

10603767_1448708142115650_4523576559983395357_n.jpg

There was also a strap at least an inch wide by 8 - 10 inches long that I believe was attached to the starter.

I don't remember seeing any more locations when we dismantled it Nick, hopefully this helps?